Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 06-20-2009, 09:56 AM   #1
3bluetrunks

Advice: Nail and Screw Holes in Shower Pan

Hi. I'm new here and I appreciate this website and forum. I've been reading things on this site for hours and I've learned an immense amount of information. Thank you for sharing your knowledge.

I am looking for some advice regarding my shower. I have a stall shower that was retiled about 6 months ago. We noticed a water mark on the ceiling of the room below our shower and realized we had a problem. Upon researching the issue we noticed the tiles on the curb had basically floated up. We pulled the tiles up and noticed all the mortar and wood on the curb were wet. As we have been removing the components of the curb we noticed that our contractor nailed a 2x4 on top of the shower liner and screwed Durock into the inside of the curb. The shower liner has about 10 nail/screw holes.

I'm still unsure of the cause of the leak. Do you think the nail/screws in the shower liner caused the leak? Do you recommend patching the holes? I've gathered from this informative website that nail/screw holes in the liner tend to rot which makes the holes larger. I also understand that holes can be patched, but they may only be a band-aid for the problem. Do you think we should pull up the tiles on the shower floor and wall to replace the liner?

Thank you. I value your feedback.

Lesley
3bluetrunks is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 06-20-2009, 10:09 AM   #2
Levi the Tile Guy
Tile and Stone Contractor

Lesley,

The nail holes through your liner are definately a no-no. You may be able to patch them and have that work, but like you said that is probably just a band-aid. I would take up the floor and replace the liner, but that means you will have to take at least 12" probably more like 18" of tile off the wall depending on where the liner ends and layout of the tile. There is no way that durock/2x4/anything except mud should be attached through the liner.

Grand Junction, Colorado Tile and Stone installation

Levi the Tile Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-20-2009, 10:12 AM   #3
jgleason
Retired Moderator - Theatre Guy (and computers)

Hi Lesley,
Sorry to hear about your leaking shower.

Yes, holes in the liner are the likely source of the problem. Its like poking holes in the bottom of a bucket.

The fact that the tiles "floated" up I would suspect that the person that tiled the shower used a mastic or premixed adhesive. These are not appropriate for wet areas like a shower.

Given the penetrations in the liner I believe you are looking at a tearout and rebuild. you may be able to get away with a redo of the pan and curb but the bottom couple of rows of tiles will have to come out to do that.
jgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-20-2009, 10:14 AM   #4
Tool Guy - Kg
Moderator -- Wisconsin Kitchen & Bath Remodeler

Welcome to the forum, Leslie.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3bluetrunks
...our contractor nailed a 2x4 on top of the shower liner and screwed Durock into the inside of the curb. The shower liner has about 10 nail/screw holes.
Did this contractor start from scratch on rebuilding the shower or did he re-use the liner & drain? There aren't supposed to be any nail penetrations in the liner below 3" above the height of the finished curb. So the nail holes are the prime suspect at the moment.

Work like this will generally have a 1 year warranty. How was the contractor to deal with? Are they still around?

Help an awesome summer camp!
Tool Guy - Kg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-20-2009, 10:39 AM   #5
3bluetrunks

Advice: Nail/Screw Holes in Shower Liner

I can't thank you enough for all of the valuable feedback. This is an amazing website.

Based on the feedback we've received so far we've decided to replace the shower liner. It's the best solution to safeguard against this happening again.

To answer a couple of questions. The contractor re-used the existing shower liner. The contractor I hired to do the work is our neighbor and he denies the problem has anything to do with his workmanship. We had a frameless shower door installed and he blames the leak on the weight of the shower door. He has offered to return and fix the problem at a cost. I'm a woman based (strongly) on principle and I believe he should fix the problem at no cost. I am disappointed and angry, but I'll get over it. I have to move on and fix the shower. I'll chalk this up as one of life's lessons. I've learn the hard (expensive) way.

THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU,
Lesley
Unread 06-20-2009, 12:48 PM   #6
Levi the Tile Guy
Tile and Stone Contractor

lesley,

I would not pay your installer to fix the shower. I would hire somebody else if I was you or do it yourself. If you hire somebody else they will probably be more expensive, but if you get a good professional tile mechanic he/she will do it right. There is absolutely no way a pan liner should be reused, there is way to much risk when doing a demo to ensure that it doesn't have minor holes in it. And once again it shouldn't have nail/screw holes in it. If you can afford to hire a good pro go that rout, if not do it yourself and we will be glad to walk you through the process. Good luck

Grand Junction, Colorado Tile and Stone installation

Levi the Tile Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-20-2009, 02:00 PM   #7
tilelayer
South East PA Tile Contractor

I think Rob Z is in Northern Virgina and Tilerite? Maybe they can help, tell this guy to get lost.

***New Here?? Click here to add your name to your signature***

Check out my Blog and see my latest tiling projects!

Specializing in Kerdi Showers
tilelayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-20-2009, 02:18 PM   #8
Mountain Tile
Pashley Tile

If you take your car to a mechanic and he screws it up, you don't take it back to the same mechanic right? Find a recomended pro, and try to get some money back from the guy who screwed it up.

wwwpashleytile.com
Mountain Tile is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-20-2009, 02:21 PM   #9
Tiletim
Lost in the details

Rick, problem is she only has to walk next door to tell him cya.
Unread 06-20-2009, 02:29 PM   #10
sandbagger

if the guy is a licensed contractor then I'd at least take lots of pitchers and document extensively, with an assessment from the guy you hire to fix, then file a complaint with the license board or whoever handles that sort of thing. If he's just some joe with a toolbox then you basically got what you paid for; sorry.

"The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government -- lest it come to dominate our lives and interests."

Patrick Henry
sandbagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-22-2009, 05:45 PM   #11
3bluetrunks

Advice: Nail and Screw Holes in Shower Pan

Again, thank you for the great feedback and support. My plan is to take photos and document the issues. I also hope to get a detailed report from the company we hire to fix the issue. I'll write a letter to the Better Business Bureau (that will include the photos and documents) and put a copy in my neighbors mailbox.

People like this shouldn't be in business.

Many thanks for your comments and feedback.
Unread 06-22-2009, 07:32 PM   #12
Lazarus
Texas Tile Contractor

It's always sad when you have to do that to a neighbor.....after all, you have to live there...but "right is right." Cook barbeque with him....but keep him away from your shower.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Lazarus is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase