Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 08-16-2011, 08:20 PM   #1
ivinho

Help prepping wall for stone/brick veneer

Hi everyone,

Not sure if this is the right place to ask about my project, but i got a ton of help on remodeling my bathroom here so here goes...

I have a house which has a added pre-fab sunroom to the rear. The original wall had aluminum siding on it, but was taken down and replaced with a brick veneer. Some bricks were cracked and it looked like they used black tar to fill in the joints. The bricks were glued to 1/4 pressed wood which was nailed to the planks of the house, its that stuff that looks like compressed cardboard, the sticker on the back said "masonite tempered presswood"

Right now the room looks like the pics below. I plan on finishing with a stone or brick veneer because there's a gas fireplace there. From what I've been reading about installing veneer on exterior walls, the way to go is to put up felt paper, then wire mesh, then a scratch coat of mortar, then the stone. Should i be treating it as an exterior wall, or do i even need the felt paper? When I took down the brick, most of the paper and house wrap came off with it and some parts didn't even have anything covering the planks.

I also plan on replacing some of the planks on the right side with 3/4 ply and screwing in some lose planks on the left. I'm also going to caulk the sides where the room meets the house.

Thanks for any advice you can give me.
Attached Images

Unread 08-16-2011, 09:06 PM   #2
Levi the Tile Guy
Tile and Stone Contractor

They installation you are describing is the traditional way to install it. That will work for you, or you could install 1/2" CBU and (if you are worried about moisture) a liquid membrane then tile directly over that with a stone veneer mortar. The only one I have used is Laticretes, and it is a very good mortar. If you aren't worried about moisture (which I don't see why you would be) I would say you could get away with just the 1/2" CBU

Grand Junction, Colorado Tile and Stone installation

Levi the Tile Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-17-2011, 08:26 AM   #3
WendyHMN
Amateur Jack of All Trades

Installation will depend on the brand of veneer you use. I used Corning for my fireplace surround and they specifically say not to use cement board. I did my first and only (so far) lath and mortar scratch coat for that job and it wasn't difficult at all. In an interior application, the felt is to protect your underlying wall from the wet mortar.

Blue belt DIYer. Moderately proficient and occasionally useful.
See my finished master bath here.
WendyHMN is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-20-2011, 07:28 PM   #4
ivinho

Thanks for the replies everyone. Someone recommended i consult a professional to have a look at the wall and see if its safe to add the weight of stone veneer. So i have to put it on hold until then.
Unread 10-30-2011, 02:50 PM   #5
ivinho

I finally have time to finish this project. I decided to install a stone veneer from Realstone systems 3 feet up the wall. I already installed the mesh wire and 1/2 inch mortar scratch coat as per manucature directions. I left a 1/8 gap where the mortar meets the wall and at the bottom.. Was that a bad call? Can I use silicone to fill the gap before installing the stone?

Also, should I leave a gap where the stone meets the floor? Or can it come in contact with the floor?

http://realstonesystems.com/natural-...hadowstone.php

Thanks
Unread 10-30-2011, 02:58 PM   #6
forced347

I just did some stone veneer in my basement. It was a re-use thing, I tore it down from the old room and re-installed it where I wanted. It was up with lath and mortar and many of the rocks were loose. I pulled them all off, knocked the old mortar off.

when I installed I decided to put use hardibacker and a modified thinset using fortifier to mix instead of water. I'm sure this is not a traditional way of installing but those stones are not going anywhere.

Name:  IMG_0890.jpg
Views: 887
Size:  42.9 KB

Name:  IMG_0877.jpg
Views: 1080
Size:  61.5 KB

Last edited by jgleason; 10-31-2011 at 04:35 AM. Reason: please use the paperclip icon and attach images
forced347 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-30-2011, 05:22 PM   #7
ivinho

Looks really god. Did you leave any expansion gaps on the bottom or sides?
Unread 10-30-2011, 06:43 PM   #8
forced347

There is about an 1/8 to a 1/4" all the way around.....the stone was actually up before I tiled

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase