Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 04-23-2019, 11:14 AM   #1
sesegal99

Shower Remodel

Shower remodel 40"x 40"...Framed and re-ran pex to a washing supply box (it has no punch outs) in order to supply a shower panel. I've poured slope, lined pan, installed 90% of cementboard and am up to the boxed supply area that will sit behind the shower panel. Have yet to pour top pan over liner.

Need suggestions on how to water proof around the box opening? The supply box has a trim piece that I was considering abandoning. The box itself also sits out 1/2" from stud to be flush with concrete board once installed.

Just rock up to the box and then use thinset as I would other areas...then follow with my seam tape and redguard around the box like other joints/wall corners? I plan on siliconing the sides of the shower panel to the wall leaving the bottom unsiliconed for drainage, however the top has an opening that could allow moisture to run down the back side....want to make sure this area doesn't become a spot for infiltration.
Thanks in advance!!!
Unread 04-23-2019, 12:08 PM   #2
cx
Moderator emeritus

Welcome, Scott.

I'll fix your signature so's folks won't think you're shouting, eh?

I, for one, would need to see a link to this product you're planning to use. You can't yet post links, but just spell it out with an extra space in the www and one of our moderators will light it up for you.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-23-2019, 12:47 PM   #3
speed51133

re you talking about this: https://www.oatey.com/2377493/Produc...nect-No-Hammer ??

I do not understand how this would be incorporated into a shower......
Unread 04-23-2019, 01:20 PM   #4
sesegal99

See attached
Attached Images

Unread 04-23-2019, 01:29 PM   #5
sesegal99

Wall Panel
Attached Images

Unread 04-23-2019, 02:33 PM   #6
Carbidetooth
Hmmmmm

I gotta say, this seems like a not-good idea. Is this how the panel manufacturer recommends you install? Why have stop valves if they're behind the shower panel and mostly inaccessible?

I'd install stub outs with pipe nipples coming through tiled wall and sealed to tile assembly. If I had to have the stop valves close, an access panel in a closet or other inconspicuous place.

Silicone (not silicon) Sealant Ranger
Carbidetooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-23-2019, 02:54 PM   #7
speed51133

I would never even consider this unless it was outside my home connected to the garden hose.

I would recommend what Carbide said....
Unread 04-23-2019, 04:28 PM   #8
sesegal99

Supply lines were relocated from a common wall between tub and shower that will be tiled on both sides. I def want valves to be able to service the panel if need be. The panel mounts on brackets and can be removed to access the valves if necessary. It really is no different than a niche similar to what is in the side wall. In re looking how the trim fits I may utilize it and feather thinset out prior to tiling. Take a look at photos. Would you prefer to see mesh tape and thinset all around followed by placement of the trim piece with ample silicone behind the flange followed by a sloped bottom of thinset ? Everything waterproofed with the fabric tape and red guarded.
Unread 04-23-2019, 04:30 PM   #9
sesegal99

See below
Attached Images

Unread 04-23-2019, 05:01 PM   #10
jlbos83
Really Cool Weekend Warrior

It's different than the niche in that it has holes in it, and was not designed for that application. How does the panel seal to the wall? I am puzzled.

It's a DRY heat!
jlbos83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-23-2019, 05:23 PM   #11
sesegal99

There’s no holes in the plastic box. I’m looking for suggestions on sealing perimeter between box and durarock
Unread 04-23-2019, 08:22 PM   #12
PC7060
...unrepentant, detail focused, over-analyzer.

Scott,

Problem is you are using a product in a application for which it was never designed or rated so it’s gonna be hard to get anyone here to give you a path forward.

As you can tell a lot of us have concerns about your approach. Some of the feedback is subtle, some not so much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed51133
I would never even consider this unless it was outside my home connected to the garden hose.
PC7060 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-23-2019, 09:32 PM   #13
sesegal99

So you’d rather see 2 stubs through the wall. Then what cut nipple, 90 up and soldier on valves inside walls of enclosure. Using something like this? Then seal penetration and redguard. Wall is currently open so I’m not opposed but I do want shutoffs.
Attached Images

Unread 04-23-2019, 09:32 PM   #14
cx
Moderator emeritus

Scott, that trim piece that fits into the plastic box you've got there is just a very loose, snap-in kinda thing in my experience with no real way to seal it to the too-flexible plastic box.

I'm not at all familiar with that shower set-up you plan to use, but unless it's capable of being sealed all around its perimeter, keeping water from ever getting to your plumbing valve box, I'm not sure there's a real good approach to what you're doing.

You can, of course, try whatever you think will work, but as PC points out, you're out of the box as far as any of us giving you advice based upon ceramic tile industry standards, which is what we try to do here to the extent feasible.

I think If I were to actually try what you're doing, I'd eliminate that trim piece from the plumbing box all together and use a sheet-type waterproofing membrane folded into the plastic box and bonded with Kerdi Fix or similar sealant. See my warranty information below.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-23-2019, 09:37 PM   #15
speed51133

Or use the stub outs and then a sheet membrane collar with the little rubber ring.

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase