Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 12-23-2004, 10:37 AM   #1
axroh

kitchen backsplash design advice (pics!)

Hi all,

I've used this board so much now and can't thank all you guys enough. So far, I've tiled 2 bathroom floors and a shower enclosure and a kitchen backsplash. They're not perfect, but gosh I love 'em

Anyway, here are some pics of my backsplash. (how do you like my design behind the cooktop? ). At the time though, the wife thought it best to leave this tile as a 6" backsplash, but I've convinced her otherwise - I want to take the tile all the way to the cabinets. My question is more of design:
1. should I continue the same vanilla pattern ?
2. should I put them on diagonal? with some molding in b/w? Won't that take the attention away from my diagonal pattern behind the cooktop?

The tile is a Walker-Zanger travert. 6". The backsplash behind the cooktop is the same, and the patterned tiles are actually engraved (mucho $$$ for that center one - I thnk I paid $33 for that one).

Advice appreciated. Oh, and the name is "Amit".
Unread 12-23-2004, 11:22 AM   #2
Marge

Hi Amit,

It's definitely a personal preference kind of thing.

If you lay the remaining backsplash using the same pattern it will definitely blend in and not stand out.

Diagonal for the remaining tiles would definitely draw your eye to the area and may be more than you seem to want.

Have you thought about making the middle diagonal and top square like the bottom? That would lead your eye to the diagonal of the cooktop. Just my opinion.

You will love having counter to cabinet backsplash..it changes the whole feel of the space. Also, your current work looks really great! Let us know what you decide to do.

Marge
Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-23-2004, 11:58 AM   #3
KGW

Personally I feel like because the motif behind the range is the same height as your backsplash, you don't want to do anything to take away from it. I would probably lay the rest of the tile on the orthogonal instead of on the diagonal. I think that mixing it up in such a narrow space with such large tiles would detract. If you think a grid is too plain, consider setting the tiles in a running bond. In either case, I think a pattern 3 full tiles high would look way nicer than how cut up it would be to lay those tiles on the diagonal. You have a nice centered pattern above the range but I think it would look pretty haphazard trying to do the rest of your backsplash in diagonal at this point.
KGW is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-23-2004, 02:24 PM   #4
axroh

what's a "running bond?" Does that mean staggered?
Unread 12-23-2004, 02:48 PM   #5
jadnashua
Veteran DIYer- Schluterville Graduate

STAR Senior Contributor

yep...
Not a pro, multiple Schluter Workshops (Schluterville and 2013 and 2014 at Schluter Headquarters), Mapei Training 2014, Laticrete Workshop 2014, Custom Building Products Workshop 2015, and Longtime Forum Participant.
jadnashua is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-23-2004, 06:30 PM   #6
axroh

Thanks all for your replies. I'll maybe stagger them or just line'em up.

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase