Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 03-13-2019, 03:31 PM   #1
richk91

Any Thoughts on Waterproof Vinyl Planks?

Has anyone installed any of the waterproof vinyl wood looking planks such as LifeProof, SmartCore, Nucore, etc? They claim it is waterproof, but what about the seams? The stuff looks nice, easy to install, warm feel, and wear ability is likely not an issue for my application, but the seams appear to be the weak link…not sure though?
Unread 03-13-2019, 08:07 PM   #2
Simplyjames

Any Thoughts on Waterproof Vinyl Planks?

Exactly right. Many problems with seams opening up across several brands over the years. Might be a good one out there but I’ve lost my trust for the stuff.
I tossed some down in my own kitchen a few years ago. Took me a few hours and is nice and warm and soft, but several seems have opened with broken locking tabs. I did leave proper expansion, flatness, blah, blah, too.
Just stupid stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ACT certified installer #015
californiaflooringltd.com
Simplyjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-13-2019, 08:50 PM   #3
lati_cz
michal

Last year I remodeled 3 story house for retired French builder. He asked me for vinyl tiles, I told him we don't do it. He insisted, he said he has used vinyl in Europe for decades, never had issue.
I called my flooring sub (established, good company), to my surprise, he said they install LVT and they make killer with it. He said carpet companies are hurting, everyone wants LVT.
I was very skeptical, but I really liked it. You can walk on it in ski boots and no dent/scratch in it... Looks great. Easy to maintain. I am doing 2nd house with it now and I wouldn't hesitate to put in my home.
Not in bathrooms.....
Unread 03-13-2019, 10:07 PM   #4
richk91

Seams opening up, not good. And Michal says not in the bathroom. Well, maybe I might have to do a porcelain tile floor for this bathroom also to be safe. It has been several years since my last bathroom, and I was hoping that some of this new vinyl flooring was different.

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase