Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 04-25-2018, 09:01 PM   #106
Houston Remodeler
Pondering retirement daily

STAR Senior Contributor

I'd buy a seperate epoxy which is a bit stronger. The stuff for setting bolts into masonry. Sika makes a great one. Set it and don't touch it until the next day.

For when DIY isn't such a good idea...
Houston TX area Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

http://CabotAndRowe.com
Houston Remodeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-05-2018, 04:32 PM   #107
makethatkerdistick

Jeff (Gozo) was so kind to donate a little Latapoxy to my project. Thanks, Jeff!

I am still waiting for the glass. The glass maker called me and said that there were a few imperfections on one element and if I were willing to accept them. After they sent me photos, I said no. So, they'll redo the door and hopefully ship my glass soon. Kind of funny to try to push an element with small but visible imperfections on a customer. Not that they offered a discount either.

Wish me luck!
Unread 05-14-2018, 08:19 PM   #108
makethatkerdistick

Got my 300 lb crate with the shower glass today just to find the three elements completely shattered upon opening it. Thankfully, the driver hadn't left and took it back. It's fully insured and the glass company will make another set and ship it. Frustration and another two weeks of waiting! Thank you, FedEx.
Unread 05-15-2018, 08:12 AM   #109
rmckee84

Call the company, tell them you're under a time crunch and demand it to be expedited. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.
rmckee84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-23-2018, 12:46 PM   #110
makethatkerdistick

New glass arrived today in pristine condition. Tomorrow, I'll start installing. This time, FedEx wasn't as brutal to the crate.
Unread 05-28-2018, 09:53 AM   #111
makethatkerdistick

And done! Big thanks to Jeff (gozo) again for supplying the Latapoxy 310 which gave my floor clamp some really good adhesion.

I've done the stubbed screw method to affix the floor clamp. The waterproofing membrane has not been compromised. My silicone is a bit ugly in places from removing my painter's tape a tad too late but nothing a little razor blade treatment couldn't fix. The gap between door and panel is 1/8 in which is sufficiently small without bringing the glass panels too close together.

I solved the odd angle situation at the strike side of the door by giving the door edge a 23 deg. miter cut. It came out really nice. I then attached a CR Laurence vinyl bulb seal on that edge that nicely cushions the door against the wall.

And obviously, the light switches in one picture are only a reflection. They're not inside the shower proper.
Attached Images

Last edited by makethatkerdistick; 05-28-2018 at 09:58 AM.
makethatkerdistick is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-28-2018, 11:36 AM   #112
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

Nice looking shower.

www.davystephenstile.com
Davy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-28-2018, 11:41 AM   #113
makethatkerdistick

Davy, I suspect that in our part of town there are, sadly, only two water-tight showers in a sea of green-board showers: Mine and the one you just finished for my colleague. She seems to really like it and was impressed with your neatness.
Unread 05-28-2018, 11:52 AM   #114
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

Thank you for the referral, she was an easy customer to please compared to some. It was nice working away from the Dallas area. Much less traffic.

www.davystephenstile.com
Davy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-28-2018, 12:38 PM   #115
Gozo

Wolfgang,
Looks great I bet you’re glad to be past that stage. Your shower floor and drain looks exactly like mine, but in lighter beiges color.
Why is there a wad of tissue paper under the glass, right near the soap dispenser bottle?
Enjoy what will hopefully be many tens of years of worry and mold free showers.
Unread 05-28-2018, 12:49 PM   #116
makethatkerdistick

Jeff, this was a leak test of sorts to see if the silicone provided a good seal under the glass.
The shower floor is actually made from the same porcelain that's used on the floor. The shower light was on, and so it's hard to see that they're the same. But yes, a beige of sorts it is.
Unread 05-29-2018, 06:01 AM   #117
Steve in Land O Lakes

Came out very nice Wolfgang...

Shower looks good!

BTW I used the Schluter profile on that one wall came out OK
Unread 05-29-2018, 06:22 AM   #118
mullet
░░░░░░░

Looks top shelf work!! Be proud.
Unread 05-30-2018, 11:21 AM   #119
makethatkerdistick

Schluter strainer

One more tidbit I'd like to share. I don't think this part is well-known and is usually not included in the North American Schluter shower drain kits. Apparently, in Germany it comes standard and people don't mind unscrewing the drain cover and cleaning the strainer.

I emailed Schluter and they sent me two of those free of charge. They drop in nicely, are made of robust plastic and catch all hair without easily clogging up. I highly recommend them, especially if your plumbing system is older.
Attached Images

Unread 12-07-2020, 02:12 PM   #120
makethatkerdistick

And more than two years later, I discovered a problem. Maybe you can lay my worries to rest. The curb has now developed a separation, perhaps 1/32 in. You can see in the pictures where the Spectralock has detached.

Construction:
1. Curb is built of pressure-treated 2x4 that was stored almost one year in my garage before used in this project. It was dry when I used it.
2. 2x4s are tapconned into the concrete foundation. I used a piece of self-adhesive window flashing between slab and wood and also wrapped the wood in plastic. Not as good as pavers (should have used those) but no direct contact either.
3. Curb was dressed in Hardiebacker and then completely covered with Kerdi, also tying in to the Ditra under the floor outside the shower. I folded my own corners, since this is a proprietary angle. However, I even added another layer of Kerdi on top of that as extra shield.
4. Bracket for glass enclosure was set with a stubbed screw. No membrane penetration occured.
5. All true changes of plane in the picture have silicone caulk. The grout, however, is approved around the Schluter profiles, isn't it?

General issues:
Foundation is known to move around a bit due to expansive soils. I get hairline cracks in drywall around door frames all over the house but no gaps that would indicate failure. House is fifty years old.

Surely, this detachment isn't because of water penetration? I thought at the time I kerdied this thing to perfection. I followed all Schluter rules to a T. Tile doesn't feel loose or anything. Shower is used once or twice a day typically.

What do you experts say? I could, theoretically, drill an opening on the other side of the curb (or remove a tile) to see if the wood is dry inside but I don't want to. I promise I will never ever use wood again for the curb.
Attached Images

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase