Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > The Mud Box

Sponsors

Old 06-05-2019, 02:50 PM   #1
Elkski
Took the Schluter part 1 class my team won!

What is the longest time it took you to cut one tile to perfection? How many tries?

Being a perfectionist is not a good thing sometimes but also being a beginner you have many things to learn in the world of tile. Adding these two things together I may order another box of tile to make sure I can get the same batch number from California. It's a pretty simple tile with a rectangle taken out of The middle that goes nine in across the 12in tile. My first attempt was fraught with mistakes that were minor and then it was the first time to use this bit on my angle grinder and so it turned into a template for number two. number two was looking really good until I cut on the wrong side of the left line. number three was looking really good until I knock the pieces out from the back instead of from the front so it took a chip out of the front. maybe I didn't cut quite as far as before. so I thought I would post this question here because I started this before lunch time and it's 2:45
Attached Images

Old 06-05-2019, 04:26 PM   #2
Lazarus
Texas Tile Contractor

Personally, I have ruined 5 or 6 tiles, trying to get a "perfect" cut. I remember a door jamb cut that simply didn't work. I finally got it right and, walking into the job...tapped it against the jamb, "clink!" Was I pissed? Yeah. Went to lunch before I tried again. Got it perfect....but it was a bitch.

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."

Last edited by Lazarus; 06-06-2019 at 07:04 AM.
Lazarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2019, 09:50 PM   #3
Bellsfloors
Tile, Wood, LVT, Home Renovation Contractor

This one is from several years ago but it took me 4 attempts to get it right.. first couple of times it would crack or break during the cutting process. Third time almost had it till it took a hairline crack as I was carrying it in. This told me I had to do something different due to internal stresses inside the tile.. I taped and precisely marked where the vent location is. I packed some cardboard and plastic in the vent I mortared the tile down to the floor and let it set a couple of days.. Then went in with my 4" grinder with tile blade and vac and cut it out with no problems... It survives to this day
Attached Images

Flooring-Tile-Waterproof Showers
www.AttentionToPerfection.com
Bellsfloors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 10:27 PM   #4
CaliGrown

Definitely not the hardest thing, but took more time to cut in these end caps than it did to set the accent band.
Attached Images

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase