Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 01-31-2008, 11:45 AM   #1
tom.m

Tiling over whirlpool deck

Well, my last bathroom turn out great thanks to the great info from this forum... THANKS for your help!

Now I'm onto Bathroom #2 where I am installing an acrylic air-tub. The manufacturer (Bain Ultra) says it can be drop-in OR undermounted and we're leaning toward the undermount style (my wife wants room for candles and whatnot). Can someone recommend an adhesive for travertine tiles on the deck of the tub? I assume that one does not want to use standard thinsets in case it ever has to be taken out... OR is it really "not recommended" to tile over the deckings?

Also, does anyone know if this type of installation is covered in any books? The manufacturer's drawings/instructions don't really say much.

Thanks again!
tom.m is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 01-31-2008, 06:52 PM   #2
matman
Tile contractor

Tom,

Do you have a picture of this thing? Is an undermount tub like an undermount sink with the deck running over the top edge of the tub? Do you want to attach tiles to the acrylic flange of the tub?
Silicone caulk maybe? Send more info.
Unread 02-01-2008, 03:38 AM   #3
Deckert
Remodeling and Tile Contractor

I went and looked at Bains undermount instructions and saw the pictures and it looks a little suspect to me. They have you building a 2x3 wall that holds the weight of the tub, then a plywood face and wrapped plywood up to the level of the tub deck. Then they tell you the granite marble or tile goes directly onto this plywood and bridges the gap to the fiberglass tub. No waterproofing of any kind.

If you decide to do an undermount, I think I would swap out 1/2" cement board for the face plywood, and the plywood that is level with the tub deck (all the tile setting sufaces). Then I'd Redgard all the cement board. For the face I would use regular thinset. For the deck, I'd call the manufacturer and see if they have any suggestions. I know you could get an epoxy to stick, but I'd be worried thats its not flexible enough. Maybe silicone, I'd call and ask first though.
HeenanGC.com
Deckert is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-01-2008, 07:37 AM   #4
matman
Tile contractor

Tom

I followed Brannigan's lead and went to the Bain site. I see the drop in now and I'm not crazy about it. You want to bridge the gap between the deck and tub. Correct? That looks to me to be almost the same as bridging an expansion joint in a cement slab. There is gonna be some movement going on there between deck and tub.

Looking at it from here I'd be more inclined to build my wall and deck frame to the height of the flange maybe even a little high to be on the safe side to allow for movement. Then go over the deck and bridge the gap with a couple of pcs. of cantilevered plywood, covering the tub flange, then cbu or Ditra on top of that. You'd have to finish the end grain of your decking the same way you 'd finish a tiled countertop.

It would look thick like a countertop. You need waterproofing at least in the immediate area of the plywood around the tub. I don't know wide the flange is, you can't cantilever too far.
Unread 02-01-2008, 03:39 PM   #5
tom.m

Thanks for the replies; the manufacturers instructions ARE a little suspect...but in looking at other manufacturers "undermount" instructions, they are not any better. The tub is not meant to be supported by the podium framing, but by the base of the tub (set in mortar). I think they just put the responsibility of "finishing" on the carpenters and tiler setters.

I am planning to use Hardie or Durock on the framing members of the podium (and REDGard is a great suggestion) but I'm worried about bridging the gap to the actual tub and movement; not to mention that innevitably we all sit on the side of the tub, thus will the tile crack at the joint??

Maybe it would be best to just build up the tiled deck to the height of the tub and then caulk the gap. What do you think of that thought?
tom.m is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-01-2008, 04:32 PM   #6
matman
Tile contractor

Quote:
innevitably we all sit on the side of the tub
What's goin on at your place Tom? Count me in!
Unread 08-09-2009, 03:10 PM   #7
gorgiasred

Reopening this thread:

Hi,

Is anyone still around? I have the same bain whirlpool tub that I want to undermount.

I appreciate the advice you have already given. I have a further question.

The shape of my tub is an ellipse (or oval). How do I do a finishing surface like tile and get that shape?

I am particularly concerned about the edge. If I do the surface like a countertop edge as matman suggested, do they make L-shaped tile that curves such that make the ellipse shape?

Or, if I do it as the bain diagram suggests and try to stick the tile to the tub edge, do I use caulk to cover the edge where the tile ends and the tub wall begins?

Also, are square tiles going to look bad with an ellipse tub?

Hope you are all still out there!

Thanks,

Red
gorgiasred is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-09-2009, 05:12 PM   #8
jondon
Hershey Pennsylvania Tile Contractor

Send a message via AIM to jondon
post a pic of your tub

Red,

I see that was some time ago, you should start a new thread even though its similar to the one TOM.M did. You say yours is oval, or ellipse, I am not that familiar with it, can you frame it out so that you can have whatever shape you want it? This way you can create whatever size deck you want and the shape. However you do it, you will be able to accommodate it with the tile as they make pieces with finished edges for the lip and tile can be cut to fit you oval if you choose to stay with that shape, can you post a pic of your tub?

Course you can just frame out a square deck as well, it doesn't have to be the same shape as the tub, and will be easier to tile.

Jon Donmoyer

JD Tile

CTEF Certified Installer #825

Custom Tile Installation in Hershey & surrounding areas

Serving Dauphin, Lebanon, Berks, Chester, & Montgomery Counties PA
jondon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-11-2009, 05:10 PM   #9
gorgiasred

Pics

Thanks, Jon, for getting back to me.

I will start a new thread next time.

Here are some small pics. These can also be seen at

bainultra.com/web/wcm/connect/bainultra/en/main/products/baths/meridien/meridian_ellipse_7842

To clarify, the deck for the tub will be a rectangle, but the opening of the tub is an ellipse. I am having trouble with tiling the edge around the opening of the tub.

So, what you are saying is that they make tiles that are curved to go around the egde of the opening of the ellipse?

Or, to I just have to use small tiles and let the mortar make the curve?

Thanks,

Red
Attached Images

gorgiasred is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-11-2009, 05:35 PM   #10
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

I think Jon is talking about using bullnose and cutting short pieces allowing them to fan around the turns.

There's no way I would install this tub undermounted like the instructions show. You're asking for troubles.

www.davystephenstile.com
Davy is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase