Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 11-24-2008, 06:11 PM   #1
Tilling Tim
Tim

Cool Bath renovation

I am remodeling my master bath. I have finished the work including tiling for the shower and countertops. I have the floor to complete. It is about 8.5 by 8.5 feet in area. There is an adjacent toilet area that is about 3.5 by 5 feet. The floor is concrete slab. The house is 19 years old. I removed the old tile cleaned up the floor with a diamond cup wheel on an angle grinder. There were no cracked tiles it was just out of style. The main area slab is crack free and in very good shape. The toilet area slab has a hairline crack running down the center of the long dimension. The height of the crack is the same on both sides. If the crack propagates it will not run into the main bath area. I was going to use Ditra on both areas. I am having second thoughts since it seems to be a lot more work and I'm not sure it is necessary for this size bath. I will use the Ditra if you think it wise. If you think it advisable to use the Ditra I would like a recommendation on thin set. I know Schluter recommends using non-modified thin set morter. I bought some from Home Depot. Experimenting with it it seemed to have limited open time. My guess is that that is what you get with non-modified thin set. However, I am not that fast setting tile so this concerns me. I know the notch size Schluter recommends. I can probably find the correct trowel size but how important is that. They specify 1/4 x 3/16 which is awful close to the common 1/4 x1/4. I have greatly enjoyed reading the advise in the forum and any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
Tilling Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 11-24-2008, 06:33 PM   #2
ddmoit
Veteran DIYer -- Schluterville Graduate

Welcome to the forum, Tim.

Schluter doesn't tout Ditra as a crack isolation membrane.

For such a small area, I think I would try an applied liquid crack isolation membrane like RedGard.

As for unmodified thinsets, you really can't find a good one at Home Depot. So, don't let your experience taint your opinion of all unmodifieds. There are some really good ones.
Unread 11-24-2008, 06:41 PM   #3
John Bridge
Mudmeister

Send a message via AIM to John Bridge
Hi Tim,

Home Depot sells CustomBlend unmodified mortar. It's the only one they sell, and I advise not using it. It's really not worthwhile. As Dan indicates, you can get a gallon of RedGard and use that as your crack isolation.
John Bridge is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase