Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Professionals' Hangout

Sponsors

Unread 09-23-2004, 01:02 PM   #1
Trask
Oregon Tile Man

Wet set Glass Mosaic Fun

Any pointers here guys..got a glass mosaic inlay that is face mounted and almost clear. Architect wants to see the grout color through the tiles and not thinset. I know to do this right I need to bond my fat mud to the existing mortar wall of the shower and back the glass with grout, then beat the tiles gently into the grout/mortar bed, wipe, peel, wipe again and go have a cold one. ya right... what a mess. Glass sagggsss bad in the grout, buldges at the bottom when tapped with block and generally wont do what i want it too. I wont even go into how the paper comes off when it's pulled.

Theoretically I feel I'm doing this correctly..but it's obvious I'm missing something. Later I've got a whole kitchen spash to do the same way.

Trask is gettin sick of glass pretty fast
Trask is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 09-23-2004, 02:45 PM   #2
tileguytodd
Official Felker Fanatic

Call Mapei and ask them about a colorant for thier White Thinset .I read something somewhere a long time ago about coloring thinset for behind glass liners.Perhaps there is something to it perhaps not but its worth a shot.life may suddenly improve by leaps and bounds
Unread 09-23-2004, 06:28 PM   #3
John Bridge
Mudmeister

Send a message via AIM to John Bridge
Trask,

Laticrete has a system, too.
John Bridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-23-2004, 06:44 PM   #4
K_Tile
Member of Million SF Club!!

Mix Laticrete 4237 with Laticrete 1500 series grouts. Instant all-in-one colored thinset and grout
Unread 09-23-2004, 06:53 PM   #5
Davestone
Florida Tile & Stone Man

I like to get my wall perfectly flat,use a very small notch, beat it in to flatten the notches, and tape it,the thin thinset is the key for me,the next day i peel andfix the voids and grout.Yeah i hate glass too,i just got to where i could cut porcelain!

http://Davestonestile.com
Davestone is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-23-2004, 07:50 PM   #6
Derek & Jacqui

Send a message via MSN to Derek & Jacqui
Thumbs up

You could use a piece of ply as a table get some 1 x to make a three sided frame around the mosaic so you can grout the back without getting the grout all over the edges then tap into thin set. Best way to remove the paper is to wait twenty minutes or so before wetting , when paper has been left to soak for a while start to pull at one corner [keeping the paper as flat as possible] toward the diagonal corner, If cubes start to come away with the paper stop and re dampen.

NULLI SECONDUS
IMPOSSIBLE DONE IMMEDIATELY, MIRACLES TAKE A LITTLE LONGER
Derek & Jacqui is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-24-2004, 03:26 AM   #7
T_Hulse
Tile Contractor

I do it Kevin's way. Latticrete has a grout system that meets thinset mortar specs, so you don't have to use any other mortar, just trowel the grout on the wall, flatten the ridges, fill the back of the sheet with grout, & tap in place. You keep the grout/mortar thin enough not to cause sag or lumpiness. Make sure your prep is dead flat like Dave said, otherwise you'll have thicker areas of grout under the tile that will just make a big mess. I keep a spray bottle of water to keep it wet after the intial sponging, some brands seem to need a long period of wetting before they'll release the paper. I start sponging about 15-20 minutes like Derek & Jacqui; as soon as possible really so I can fine tune misplaced tile (they're often not mounted very straight on the sheet). Sometimes it can take an additional 20 minutes or more of sponging and or spraying to get the paper to fully release.
With only 1 thinner layer of grout/mortar, you won't have sagging sheets like with grout and a different mortar.
Unread 09-24-2004, 06:48 AM   #8
Steven Hauser
STT Owner

We use the laticrete system as well. It works.

Sag is controlled pretty well, not perfect , but good enough.
Products and Practices Perfected™
STT Sealers with Attitude!®
Steven Hauser is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-25-2004, 01:56 AM   #9
Trask
Oregon Tile Man

You guys are the greatest it seems all hope is not lost.. Thanks a million.
Trask is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase