Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 06-13-2004, 08:13 PM   #1
pgpg

Question Bathroom Remod ?'s

I have been doing a lot of reading, since finding this site last weekend. Thank you for all the knowledge.

A couple of questions I still have:

1. On the floor I am installing a heating system, Ditra, and stone. (I posted about the subfloor structure last weekend. ) The floor heat is going over plywood. I am debating between the Suntouch and WarmlyYours system. I have already purchased the Suntouch from HD(still in the box). Any suggestions of which system would be better? I like the sounds of the SLC over the heat matt. What brandname SLC is recommended? HD sells the CustomBlend products. Does everybody use lathe under the matt for the SLC pour?

2. I have decided to use the Kerdi system for my shower. Can I install 1/2" hardi-backer instead of sheetrock? I would feel better having the hardi-backer - even though in theory water should never reach it. This is the second bathroom I am remodeling in the house and both I have torn out lots of rotted sheetrock. It sounds like I shouldn't use a vapor barrier behind the wall, since Kerdi is water tight.

Thanks.
Paul
DIY'er in MN
pgpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 06-13-2004, 08:55 PM   #2
doitright
Retired Tile & Stone Contractor

Hi Paul

OK, 1st. Let's keep the rest of your project on this thread. Otherwise it gets confusing for us to stay on track with your particular job. Thanks in advance!

1. I personally have been using Suntouch and have had no problems. Others here recommend Warmly Yours. Which is better? I don't know, they're probably very similiar. The Custom's SLC will be fine. Make sure you use the primer. Follow the label instructions. Try to accurately measure the proper quantities of water to acquaint yourself with the consistency of the mix. It's also recommended to place something similiar to a caulking backer rod around the perimeter of the room to allow for expansion and contraction prior to pouring the SLC.

2. I strongly advise against the use of the Kerdi and Hardibacker. The Hardi is extremely absorbant and even with prewetting you will have extreme difficulty in installing your Kerdi (especially for the 1st time). My advice is to use drywall or greenboard as the base for your Kerdi. You won't be sorry. You are correct about not using a vapor barrier. I'm unsure to how this works on an exterior wall (as we always use a vapor barrier).

"The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of a low price is forgotten."

New to the Forum? - Check this out!
doitright is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-17-2004, 11:09 AM   #3
pgpg

Thanks for the response.

I spoke with Schluter today to verify how they want Ditra installed over a Suntouch floor.

They told me to first attach the heating matt with a latex modified thinset to the subfloor(plywood). Let it dry, and then attach the Ditra with unmodified thinset. Sounds reasonable.

What size trowel should I use to attach the heat matt to the floor? What size trowel is used commonly to attach the Ditra?

I think this method will be less work than doing the SLC approach.

Thanks.
Paul
Unread 06-17-2004, 04:25 PM   #4
pgpg

I should add that I am still debating on the SLC. It seems like a better way to go, since the heat is embedded, and the floor is hopefully nice and level. But since I have never done a SLC pour I am a little nervous.......

The main issue that I have been having is the metal lath that is to be used with the SLC. I don't want to place this under the Suntouch mattt, since it would void the warranty.

What have people done when using a Suntouch with a SLC pour?
Does the above installation advice from Schulter make the most sense?

I sometime debate things to much. Slows down my progress a lot on my house projects.

I appreciate the advice.

Thanks.
Paul
Unread 06-17-2004, 04:52 PM   #5
Taylor

I believe I've read in this forum that you can omit the lath for SLC if you've put 1/4" CBU over the plywood. I guess the motivation is that the CBU floor will float over the ply, so you don't need to reinforce the SLC to resist floor movement.

I'm sure someone will jump in if as usual I am hopelessly confused.
Taylor is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase