Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 06-15-2022, 03:36 PM   #1
njhusky

Best "Stain Proof" grout

Hi folks,

Tiling a ground floor den and needing to pick the best stain proof grout for the job...as my wife wanted a floating floor, since she is afraid of the grout getting dirty...but I convinced her to use tile.

I've seen Fusion Pro, Prism and Flexcolor CQ SpectraLock 1 mentioned in this thread....I have also seen TEC mentioned online.

Soooo...which do I use so I'm not proved to be incompetent....lol

Also...should I still seal it or is that not a good idea

Thx in advance
Unread 06-15-2022, 03:51 PM   #2
cx
Moderator emeritus

Welcome back, Mark.

Best to have your own project thread for such questions. Since you've already visited threads about sealing/not sealing, you're already about as informed as we can make you.

Some of the new "single component" grouts do resist staining quite well, and that allows spills to be cleaned up quite effectively. I've used them, but not on a floor application and can't say how well they hold up under the long-term abuse of residential foot traffic. I fully expect they'll get dirty just like cementitious grouts always have, but I can't prove that.

I think the best thing you can do is what my first tile guy taught me when I started building houses many years ago: Pick a grout color that closely matches the dirt outside the house.

As for sealing, that, again, is helpful in keeping some kinds of stains from "setting" before you can wipe them up if you're quick, but won't really help the long-term getting dirty that happens to floors.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-15-2022, 05:26 PM   #3
Lazarus
Texas Tile Contractor

I like the Prism.....
Unread 06-15-2022, 05:28 PM   #4
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

Years ago I tiled a kitchen floor and sealed the grout. A few months later I went back to tile her backsplash and she sure was upset because the floor grout was showing dirt in the traffic areas. She told me the sealer I used didn't seal the grout very well. I had to tell her that all the sealer does is give you time to wipe up a spill and that she would still have to mop the floor. I guess she thought that the sealer made it so dirt wouldn't touch it.

In my opinion, the easiest grout to use is Prism and is my go to grout. But if you're worried about stains, Specktralock is what I'd use.

www.davystephenstile.com
Davy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-15-2022, 07:07 PM   #5
njhusky

I told my wife the grout color recommendation….she laughed heartily!! Luckily the grout will be a shade of gray….so this might actually be reasonably practical advice. Lol

Last edited by njhusky; 06-15-2022 at 07:08 PM. Reason: Change
njhusky is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-16-2022, 05:20 AM   #6
RichVT
Vermont Remodeling Contractor

Similar to CX's advice, I was told that you should mop your existing floor. Whatever color the mop water is is the color you should choose for your grout because that's the color that it will end up being.
Unread 06-16-2022, 06:58 AM   #7
Tiger Mountain Tile Inc
Registered Muser

Quote:
I've seen Fusion Pro, Prism and Flexcolor CQ SpectraLock 1 mentioned in this thread....I have also seen TEC mentioned online.
I've used all of these with the exception of TEC and SL1 is the best but that's an opinion.

Keep in mind, Prism is a good grout but it's not in this category. It's a cementitious grout and could still benefit from a sealer.
Unread 06-16-2022, 03:06 PM   #8
jadnashua
Veteran DIYer- Schluterville Graduate

STAR Senior Contributor

An epoxy-based grout or a one-part acrylic one is the least likely to stain, but none are 100%.
Not a pro, multiple Schluter Workshops (Schluterville and 2013 and 2014 at Schluter Headquarters), Mapei Training 2014, Laticrete Workshop 2014, Custom Building Products Workshop 2015, and Longtime Forum Participant.
jadnashua is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase