Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 06-21-2014, 12:13 PM   #46
awdpsi

Thanks cx. Also thanks for moving post. I was debating about which practice I should use here ( keep all questions together or separate them by relevance). I now know the answer.

Thanks again
Unread 06-22-2014, 07:12 PM   #47
awdpsi

So I ran into a ton of family issues this weekend and didn't get to laying tile.

I just finished putting down the ditra. My question is how long can I wait to tile?

With the ditra down now can I wait till Saturday, 5 days to tile ? Wasn't sure if there was a time that you must lay tile from the time ditra is set.
Unread 06-22-2014, 07:33 PM   #48
Houston Remodeler
Pondering retirement daily

STAR Senior Contributor

You can wait as long as you'd like. Just refrain from rolling heavy objects over it.

Normal foot traffic is fine.

If in doubt, or you see you are crushing the ditra, add some pieces of plywood or drywall to the surface

For when DIY isn't such a good idea...
Houston TX area Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

http://CabotAndRowe.com
Houston Remodeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-22-2014, 08:32 PM   #49
awdpsi

Awesome! Thanks Paul!
Unread 06-24-2014, 07:20 PM   #50
CCDIYer

Hi Scott, I was curious as to how easy/hard it was and what method you used, to remove the excess thinset from your diagonal plank subfloor when you removed the cement board? You used a modified thinset correct?

I think you make the right call to correct your error and take up the CB, installing plywood in it's place.
Unread 06-24-2014, 07:27 PM   #51
awdpsi

Clare. A lot of the thinset seemed to come up attached to the cbu. There were plenty of areas where I used a wide pry bar to chip away at parts. Then I was using a heavy hammer to beat some of it into submission. Honesty it just took some time. Pulling up the cbu actually worked best using 3 pry bars like wide demo bars. I put them evenly spaced on one side of a sheet and would take turns smacking them in. It brought up the biggest sections.
Unread 06-26-2014, 06:50 AM   #52
awdpsi

Gentlemen, I come to you with a problem, AGAIN. In my hast to remove the CBU and install the plywood I missed a step.

I have a 2.5 ft x 2ft outcove where my toilet is that goes about 5/16 - 3/8" lower then the rest of the floor. Its a flat desent but 5/16-3/8" lower at the wall none the less. I had leveled this with the CBU in but then I ripped it up to add the 5/8" ply and forgot to address it.

Now the Ditra is down. (Im sick to my stomach again)....ANYHOW...is there any product that I could use over the Ditra to build up that 2ft x 2ft section up so the entire floor is flat? Any unmodified medium motars that I can use in that area to gain 5/16-3/8" so I can then put tile down.

Im sorry I am so dumb...I just figured this is still the best source for a valid solution. Im sure you will suggest ripping ditra up to level, but any suggestions are appreciated.

Last edited by awdpsi; 06-26-2014 at 10:59 PM. Reason: ask better question
awdpsi is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase