Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 10-08-2020, 07:45 PM   #1
antamy

Kerdi curbless shower install questions

Just joined, so bear with me! I know there's another question similar to this from a couple of days ago, but didn't want to add to that.

I know how to install the Schluter TT tray. I have to trim mine down by about 6" for it to fit the odd space I have - as far as I can tell, that is permissible. A 48x48 will need to come down to about 41x42. If I'm wrong, please let me know! The shower entrance will have a narrow (15") wall next to it, so that's where the trimming will occur. From shower wall to bathroom floor will be the full 48", if that makes sense.

Secondly, I will use Kerdi board on the walls, so will seam everything with kerdi band. I want to be absolutely sure of the waterproofing so, a) should I use kerdi fix between the shower pan and the board, similar to how Wedi is installed? b) would I benefit from overcoating the kerdi band with hydroban or ardex? What about around the drain?

Would like to hear from someone who does this regularly, since my tile guy has never even heard of this stuff!

Thanks!
Unread 10-09-2020, 05:34 AM   #2
John Bridge
Mudmeister

Send a message via AIM to John Bridge
Hi Anthony,

I would use only Schluter products in the shower. The system has been in use for a very long time now. Kerdi band is the only thing you need at all the joints, including the juncture of the the walls and floor. A two-inch overlap is specified. The band is a little wider than necessary, so achieving the overlap is not a problem.

All of the basic installation info, including videos, is available on the Schluter website: www.schluter.com
John Bridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-09-2020, 08:23 AM   #3
antamy

Thanks for the response!

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase