Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 10-13-2020, 04:57 AM   #1
aa7483

50 % running bond on on larger tile

Hello, I'm using some 4 x 12 (4.25 x 12.875) subway tiles for my bathroom. The manufacturer suggest going with 33% offset rather than 50% to minimize lippage. Is this tile really big enough to worry about that? I held the tiles face to face and there is almost no rocking.

I'd prefer to go with 50% since I like it better aesthetically and I'm having problems avoiding skinny tiles in the 33% variety. The house is 100 years old and already not perfect so I already have my hands full. I dont want to make matters worse but if I can get away with it I'd prefer it.

Thank you in advance
Unread 10-13-2020, 06:04 AM   #2
John Bridge
Mudmeister

Send a message via AIM to John Bridge
Hi Anthony,

Lay a small field of tiles 50/50 in the floor. If the lippage doesn't offend you, go for it.
John Bridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-13-2020, 07:36 AM   #3
aa7483

I did that and it looks totally fine to me. There is a slight rock in the tile when face to face but almost nothing. I think I'll go for it. Thank you.
Unread 10-13-2020, 03:28 PM   #4
jadnashua
Veteran DIYer- Schluterville Graduate

STAR Senior Contributor

At 50%, that puts the highest point of the crowned tile next to the lowest point at the ends. It depends on the size of the grout joint how obvious any lippage will be and how well that can hide it. This is where a small sample board might settle your mind. Usually, it's best to go with the manufacturer's recommendations. Any offset works when the tile are perfectly flat, but that's rare. 30-33% offset hides it pretty much, as does stacking them.
Not a pro, multiple Schluter Workshops (Schluterville and 2013 and 2014 at Schluter Headquarters), Mapei Training 2014, Laticrete Workshop 2014, Custom Building Products Workshop 2015, and Longtime Forum Participant.
jadnashua is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-13-2020, 04:58 PM   #5
aa7483

Yea im still messing around with it trying to make it work. Id like to do it to the manufacturers specs if possible. When they say 33% each row steps one third in from the previous row either toward the left or right depending on preference) creating a stair step look is that right? At first I was trying to alternate 1/3 2/3 and that just looked strange.
Unread 10-13-2020, 06:15 PM   #6
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

Yes, like this. Every 4th row lines up.
Attached Images

www.davystephenstile.com
Davy is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-13-2020, 08:00 PM   #7
aa7483

Yup, that's what I had in mind. I think i finally figured it out. It helped to trace the tiles out on the wall for visualization purposes. Got some smaller 3 inch tiles on the end but it is what it is. Mine is going to step in the other direction but I cant imagine that matters.

Any advice in drawing the layout lines on the wall? Ive already attached my board on the bottom for the vertical rows. Im assuming I should mark 3 lines with a level a 1/3 tile apart? How do I keep the lines visible. I figure ill lose sight of them once I thinset. Its been a while since I tiled. Trying to get all my ducks in a row
Unread 10-14-2020, 05:49 PM   #8
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

The 3 inch cuts will only be in every 4th row. If everything is running plumb, the same 3 size cuts will repeat up the walls.

I figure out the size of the stagger from one row to the next. Say it's 4 inches. I set the bottom row and then set a tile above it, hooking my tape measure on a corner and making sure I off set it 4 inches from the row below it. Same thing with the next row. You can draw a plumb line so that the edge of the tiles on every 4th row are on the line and the other rows are evenly spaced.

www.davystephenstile.com
Davy is online now   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase