Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 05-22-2020, 08:33 PM   #121
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

I'd use modified for everything. I haven't bought unmodified in 25+ years.

www.davystephenstile.com
Davy is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-23-2020, 09:09 AM   #122
Husky546

Davy do you happen to know what type of modified you use? I think I counted 6-7 types that were sold in the store. And maybe I’m overthinking this I just don’t want tiles falling down because I used the wrong thinset
Unread 05-23-2020, 10:16 AM   #123
cx
Moderator emeritus

Nick, check the instructions for the membrane you're using. Every manufacturer of such products, with the exception of Schluter, requires the use of a modified thinset mortar, meeting ANSI A118.4) with their products.

The absolute minimum bonding strength requirement for any thinset mortar to a direct bonded waterproofing membrane according to tile industry standards is a shear bond of at least 50 psi. That means with even an unmodified mortar meeting ANSI standards you can park a small car on the top edge of a properly installed 8x8-inch tile.

Pick a mortar, mix and use it correctly, and don't worry about your tiles falling off the wall. The modified mortars are almost always easier and more pleasant to use than un-modified mortars, but you don't need anything costing 30+ dollars a bag, either.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-23-2020, 12:31 PM   #124
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

Over the years I've used more Versabond than anything else. It's around 20-22 bucks a bag. The last couple years I've used Prolite quite a bit. It's a non sag thinset and is near 30 bucks a bag. Both are sold at HD.

www.davystephenstile.com
Davy is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-26-2020, 01:29 AM   #125
Husky546

Well now that you mention Schluter I actually found a retailer in my area that stocks it. I think I’m gunna go with them instead (I like there pre formed neo angles and pipe seals) which arnt offered with the Menards membrane. There is quite a good deal of info on this site regarding Schluter also so I think this might be a better option for me.

On another note does anyone have a good method for tightening a shower arm the correct amount? I just test fitted my arm after the cement board went up and I would say I’m hand tight at the 3 o clock position I have heard another turn to 2 turns beyond hand tight but I’m super afraid to snap the arm off in the wall when this is all said and done.

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase