Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 05-07-2017, 09:40 PM   #1
vardenafil

question on travertine grout line

Im a DIYer. I have tiled a few times in the past with ceramic tiles. this is my first attempt at real stone. I recently purchased 1200 square feet of versailles pattern travertine tile. the tile is brushed with chipped edges. I did a dry layout of the tile and the tile is cut to were it does not allow for any grout line. If I use any spacers the pattern gets off after the first run. The stone warehouse were I bought the tile from said the tile is meant to be butted together (no grout lines). Everything I have read on this forum says I should have a minimum of 1/16 or greater groutline. Can I lay the tile out butted together and the chiseled edges will allow for things to work out when it comes time to grout? or do i need to find a way to get some kind of spacing between the tiles? here is a picture of what im talking about
Attached Images

vardenafil is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 05-08-2017, 12:23 AM   #2
PetrH

When I've set this tile before I've always had to cut some of the tiles by 1/8 to keep things true. Usually it's like every 3rd tile needs a bit of a shave. If you pick the most heavily chisseled edges it does not show.http://www.johnbridge.com/vbulletin/...1&d=1494224622
Attached Images

Unread 05-08-2017, 08:14 AM   #3
wwhitney

Hello,

The thread http://www.johnbridge.com/vbulletin/...d.php?t=120090 addresses the same issue.

In the last post http://www.johnbridge.com/vbulletin/....php?p=1436159 I included a diagram showing that you can add a grout line by shaving just (1) 1x2s and (2) 1x1s in each 6x6 fundamental region.

Cheers, Wayne
Unread 05-08-2017, 10:31 PM   #4
PetrH

The pattern in the picture is not versailles, but I have set versailles numerous times. I don't try to figure it out all ahead of time, I just start setting and shave tiles down where necessary. It becomes plenty obvious which tiles need what cuts. Most of the time you need to cut the short edge of the 1x2 tiles and two edges on the 1x1 tiles. That combined with some slight fudging makes for pleasing results. I TRY TO SHAVE THE MOST HEAVILY CHISELLED SIDE OF THE TILE. that way no additional work is required for uniform appearance.
Unread 05-09-2017, 02:06 PM   #5
vardenafil

Thanks for the advice gentlemen
vardenafil is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase