Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 01-01-2012, 04:18 PM   #1
rudyo

Spectralock questions; pebbles & using as an adhesive?

Hi All, First time caller, long time listener here :-) Wonderful forum and incredible resource!

I have a couple of unrelated questions regarding Spectralock Pro grout. I did a pretty thorough forum search, but didn't see what I was looking for.

1) I am going to be using Spectralock Pro (latte color) on a porcelain tile that has a 3" small pebble accent border (see pics below). I have never used it on a natural stone, so am wondering if it would be wise to seal the surface of the pebbles first to ease cleaning. The stones don't seem to be horrible porous (see 2nd picture with water beads) but they are going to be tough enough to clean anyway given that they are a rougher finish than most pebbles.

2) Can the Spectralock Pro epoxy grout be used as an adhesive to bond or laminate 2 pieces of natural travertine together? I need to laminate it together to create a couple of shelves for the niche in the picture. I am going to do an eyebrow front to the shelf, so the front edge will be cut and ground/polished. I would like as good of a front seam as possible.

I realize that this may not be the "normal" use for Spectralock, but a big box store is a ways away, and it is new years day. :-)

If I used it this way, would just part A+B work or do I have to add part C? Adding part C would make the color match, but I worry that I wouldn't have as good of a seam line. If I recall correctly, part C isn't integral to it setting up...or is it?

Thanks for any thoughts!
Attached Images

Last edited by rudyo; 01-01-2012 at 06:30 PM. Reason: typo
rudyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 01-01-2012, 05:04 PM   #2
dhagin
builder, anti-builder, rebuilder -- Retired Moderator

Welcome Dan.

1- I almost never seal before grouting and never had any trouble cleaning pebbles when using Spectra LOCK. Just work small areas and clean as you go. If you've used Spectra LOCK before and are familiar with the process, you won't have any trouble cleaning those stones.

2- This your house? As you know, what you propose isn't recommend by Laticrete, and may or may not work. I just don't know. I'd call Laticrete tech support or a local rep tomorrow to pick their brains on that one...

"the road to hell is paved with osb, mastic, pre-mixed latex 'grout' or 'thinset', "
dhagin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-01-2012, 05:17 PM   #3
rudyo

Quote:
2- This your house? As you know, what you propose isn't recommend by Laticrete, and may or may not work. I just don't know. I'd call Laticrete tech support or a local rep tomorrow to pick their brains on that one...
Well a relatives house, but still don't want a failure. I'll call them tomorrow but suspect that they may be closed since it is the "legal" holiday.

If I just go buy epoxy at Home depot or Lowes, what type is recommended? I have also been thinking about a thicker solid piece of stone or granite, but want a nice contrast. I have a 18"x18"x1/2" of a darker goldish Morocco travertine that I think will look good. Laminated it will give me a 1" profile.

I think a highly polished granite will be a bit too formal for it. I wondered about soapstone for the soft matte look, but not sure on the greenish tint.
Unread 01-01-2012, 05:26 PM   #4
dhagin

I use 3/8 & 1/2 stone, single layer for shelves regularly. Is the travertine solid enough to use it without laminating? Shelves in showers typically don't have to hold up much weight.

Not sure what epoxies the box stores have, I typically use knife grade epoxy specifically made for stone for that sort of thing. Like Tenax or equal... maybe Laticrete 310 for certain stuff too. Won't find either of these at the boxes.

"the road to hell is paved with osb, mastic, pre-mixed latex 'grout' or 'thinset', "
Unread 01-01-2012, 05:44 PM   #5
rudyo

Yeah it would be strong enough, but I like the look of a beefier/thicker shelf. particularly with a rounded eyebrow front with a eased edge. I'm finishing the vertical edges of the niche with a travertine pencil edge, so I want to compliment that with the shelf edge.

Apparently I can't post links yet, (not even internal links to the same forum...) but look at posts #25 & #112 in the "Niche Pictures" thread on the Pro's hangout forum. I'm looking for something like those.
Unread 01-01-2012, 06:05 PM   #6
dhagin

go ahead and post a link, I'll light it up... or try to.

http://www.johnbridge.com/vbulletin/...3&postcount=25

http://www.johnbridge.com/vbulletin/...&postcount=112

You can also post photos using the paper clip icon above the reply box, which we prefer instead of links to other sites.

Unread 01-01-2012, 06:07 PM   #7
rudyo

Or like the last picture on this post, but with an eyebrow front.
http://www.johnbridge.com/vbulletin/...6&postcount=14

Links work! Thanks!

Quote:
You can also post photos using the paper clip icon above the reply box, which we prefer instead of links.
I can totally understand uploads vs links for external photos given the inevitability of future broken links, but no need to repost from the same forum...right?
Unread 01-01-2012, 06:17 PM   #8
dhagin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan
I can totally understand uploads vs links for external photos given the inevitability of future broken links, but no need to repost from the same forum...right?
Right. For stuff that's already here (on the server), a link is preferred.

All except that last one by Greg looks like single thickness bullnose. Those others look like 2cm or laminated 1cm stone. Personally, I do those all different ways. 1cm, 2cm, and sometimes 3cm. They all can look good if done with care and prior proper planning.

If the manufacturers of one of the epoxies at the box store claim their products work with stone, might give it a try or at least do a test lamination to see how it goes.

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase