Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 03-05-2006, 09:56 PM   #1
DonB

Spectralock questions

After downloading and reading most all of the Spectralock and SpectralockPRO files from the Laticrete website (at 24.0 Kbps) I still can't figure out if there's any appreciable difference between Spectralock and SpectralockPRO. Is there a difference as far as reliability, durability, stain resistance, ease of installation and cost?

What about availability? Is the PRO version available only to contractors? Laticrete lists only one source for it within 100 miles of me and that's a wholesale only distributor that I know to be deadly serious about not even selling to stores unless they meet stiff criteria. Laticrete shows only one nearby dealer for the regular product in my area. I know Lowes has mini units but apparently only in two colors. Is it like a mission impossible task to find this stuff in a variety of colors?

Is Spectralock the best product to use for an epoxy DIY installation or is it simply the only game in town?

Thanks,
Don
DonB is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 03-05-2006, 10:08 PM   #2
jdm

SpectraLock PRO is supposed to be a bit easier to use because it has a longer open time and will stay in place on walls without an additive. It also comes with special chemical packets that get added to the cleaning water.

The PRO formula is somewhat more stain and chemical resistant. Laticrete says it can be used wherever its SP-100 epoxy is specified. That's not true for the regular version.

That being said, the regular stuff is a good product. From what I've been able to tell, it is significantly cheaper, too, at least at Lowe'st. Follow the instructions to the letter, especially the tips about using vinegar in the cleanup water and diswasher detergent in the final scrub water.

And every Lowe'st store that I have checked has had most of Laticrete's 40 grout colors in stock. (At least a few mini units.)

Go Rutgers!
jdm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-05-2006, 10:29 PM   #3
DonB

Thanks Jeff. Since I'll be doing horizontal surfaces in my own kitchen, the regular stuff should be fine. Reduced open time shouldn't be a problem, especially if I keep the bucket in the fridge and just grab globs to apply as I go along.

Don
Unread 04-08-2006, 07:47 AM   #4
DonB

As someone who has never used anything but regular sanded grout, I'm following up and still trying to learn. One of my favorite things to do is avoid terrible mistakes due to ignorance.

Rather than being a true epoxy, Spectralock is really a hybrid product of epoxy and sand, right? If I'm understanding things correctly, a true epoxy is more like an unsanded equivalent of Spectralock and is very user unfriendly, like trying to grout with bubble gum.

I'm wavering on the suitability of Spectralock for grouting my granite counters. I know it can be done and can be readily stuffed into a 1/16" joint by reducing the color/sand component but I'm concerned about working the sand on polished granite.

Does anyone have any info on the particulate size of this sand in Spectralock and how it compares to other products (such as the silica flour in unsanded cement grout or wheatever it is they put into the traditional 100% solids epoxy grout)?

Can anyone tell me what 100% solids epoxy grout really is and how it compares to Spectralock? A good one to compare with, for my purposes, is C-Cure ColorSet Epoxy 931, which is one of those 100% solids products containing a silica filler.

Thanks,
Don

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase