Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 12-09-2005, 11:30 AM   #1
KCinSC

Spectralock questions...

Hello All,

Thanks to all the great info I have found on this wonderful site, I am finally ready to grout

I have installed a chiseled edge porcelain tile in my shower, I don't want to completely fill the grout line, leaving the chiseling exposed. I'm concerned that the Spectralock will be more difficult to work with than a portland grout, I'm afraid I might go crazy trying to keep it out of all those nooks and crannies

Also, when I went to Lowes to pick a color, because of the color variation in my tile, I couldn't settle on one color. So I bought several of the milk cartons to test the colors at home ( The "guy in the isle" said that the powder color was "very close" to the finished product). I just mixed them with water, let them dry, then flushed them out. However, the colors were considerably lighter than the color chart indicated. So my question is: Do you find that the finished product is closer in color depth to the powder in the milkcarton or the color chart?

Any input on this would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Ken
KCinSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 12-09-2005, 12:02 PM   #2
chassis

Ken,

One suggestion is to make sure the powder is mixed well before adding water. This ensures the colorants are uniformly mixed with the other ingredients.
Unread 12-09-2005, 12:53 PM   #3
jadnashua
Veteran DIYer- Schluterville Graduate

STAR Senior Contributor

This is a guess, but I think the colors will only be right if they are "wet". The epoxy component basically makes them appear as if they are constantly wet, so, when you let it dry without that epoxy filler binding the colored powder together, you did not get a good indication of actual installed coloration. From what others have said, the color charts on that stuff are pretty accurate. This differs from cement based grout, which will look much darker while it is curing than after it has fully cured. You can change the ultimate look of cement based grouts with an enhancing sealer - making it sort of look like it is still wet, but sealers will not usually do anything, nor are they recommended for epoxy grouts.
Not a pro, multiple Schluter Workshops (Schluterville and 2013 and 2014 at Schluter Headquarters), Mapei Training 2014, Laticrete Workshop 2014, Custom Building Products Workshop 2015, and Longtime Forum Participant.
jadnashua is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-09-2005, 06:26 PM   #4
KCinSC

Thanks for the responses!

Will, I see your point. After reading this, I shook the carton a bunch, didn't seem to affect the color.

Jim, that would explain such a great difference. I was hoping I woudn't have to spend $20.00 for a test run but I guess I'll have to spring for the bucket as well to see the finished product. Or, I might just buy a bag of portland and forget the epoxy. As I stated in my first post, I'm concerned about keeping it out of the chisled tile edges. Has anyone used epoxy grout on this type of tile without completely filling the grout lines?

Here are a couple of pics:[IMG]shower 003(4)[/IMG] [IMG]shower 004(4)[/IMG]

Thanks,
Ken
Attached Images

Unread 12-09-2005, 06:31 PM   #5
JTG

Unless you have LOTS of grouting experience I would not use an epoxy grout.
JTG

Santa Seattle
Ballard

http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/SantaJerryinBallard
JTG is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-09-2005, 06:42 PM   #6
Danny Ferguson
Arkansas Tile Man -- Retailer

Send a message via AIM to Danny Ferguson
Hey Ken,

I have used the Spectralock grout alot. The color samples are very true to the color you get on the finished product "once cured" so don't worry. Your color will be true through out the job. To much water will not blotch the Spectralock, like it will do to regular sanded grout. This is by far the easiest epoxy grout to use. Just follow the directions step by step. Don't be scared of it. If you have any questions E-mail me, and I will be glad to help in any way I can.

Thanks

Danny
Danny Ferguson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-09-2005, 06:43 PM   #7
jadnashua
Veteran DIYer- Schluterville Graduate

STAR Senior Contributor

Have you ever taken a rock and then wet it? I'm sure you have. The color is much more intense while it is wet. The epoxy acts like a wetting agent to the colored sand you bought...the color while it is wet should be very close to what it would look like once mixed with the epoxy.
Not a pro, multiple Schluter Workshops (Schluterville and 2013 and 2014 at Schluter Headquarters), Mapei Training 2014, Laticrete Workshop 2014, Custom Building Products Workshop 2015, and Longtime Forum Participant.
jadnashua is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-09-2005, 10:37 PM   #8
KCinSC

Ready to take the plunge...

Hi again,

Jerry, I understand your comment. I have done enough grouting to "think" I know what I'm doing. I'm nowhere near Pro but I'm not exactly a novice either (I own a Felker ). With other tile jobs ahead, and the very appealing aspect of not having to seal, I just can't resist trying this stuff. Besides, if I run into trouble, I can always count on my buddy Danny to help me out. Right... Danny? Danny? Seriously, thanks for the offer, I truly appreciate it.

You all have convinced me that the color chart is relatively consistent as well. I went to Lowe's tonight and will commence grouting tomorrow. I'll let you know how it goes.

Thanks to everyone for your input,

All the best!
Ken
Unread 12-10-2005, 03:06 AM   #9
Jeff_kitchen

Hi Ken,
I used Spectralock and I am very pleased with the results. That was my first grout job and it came out fine. There are some details/recommendations from my experience you might want to check out though. Search for title "Ditra/porcelain/unmodified vs modified thinset" That's a very long post, so info you will want is in the last few pages.
Jeff_kitchen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-10-2005, 10:33 PM   #10
KCinSC

Jeff,

Wow! that was quite a project you got yourself into. Even without all the attaboys from people on this site, you must have had a tremendous sense of accomplishment. Congratulations!

None of my projects are anywhere near the size and scale of your floor(I hope!). I did find your grouting info very helpful, thanks.

I didn't have much time today but I did manage to get one bucket on the wall. I started in the least conspicuous spot of the shower just in case, but it actually turned out as well as I had hoped. I know it isn't fully cured yet but the color is perfect and my crannies are spotless!

There is definitely a learning curve with Spectralock vs portland, but the benefits far outweigh the drawbacks. In my case I think I'm better of with the epoxy. Because I dont have to be concerned about how wet my sponges are, I think it's actually easier to clean out the little nooks and crannies along the grout line.

Hope to do more tomorrow, stay tuned.

Thanks again,
Ken
Unread 12-11-2005, 05:27 AM   #11
Jeff_kitchen

Thanks Ken,
I had a dinner party last night and as usual I got remarks about how nice the floor looks in the kitchen. Much of the credit for that goes to the pro's and diy'ers on this web site who assisted me. Yes, it was a bear.
I'm glad your grouting is looking good. I agree with you about the benefits of epoxy grout as long as the potential gotchas are addressed. Looks like you're on your way. Congratulations...
Jeff_kitchen is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase