Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 11-16-2018, 11:37 AM   #151
makethatkerdistick

I haven't worked with the Ditra Heat. Is the fleece thicker than regular Ditra? If so, peel back and burn some in if you discover lack of coverage. But it's easy to then have little bumps in the Ditra. Especially with the Hardibacker, you might actually be experiencing coverage issues as it is so thirsty. I solved it by treating the Hardi with Mapei's Primer T, and it worked well for me.
Unread 11-16-2018, 12:02 PM   #152
ss3964spd

Send a message via Yahoo to ss3964spd
Ditra heat is 1/4" thick, and I believe the fleece backing is the same as regular Ditra.

Ditra Heat Duo, which I'm using, is 5/16", with the extra 16th on the back. Thicker fleece I believe, but I've never compared the two.
ss3964spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-17-2018, 10:25 AM   #153
ss3964spd

Durock foam shower tray - minimum tile size?

A long shot probably, but does anyone know if USG specs a minimum tile size for their foam shower trays?

Their website makes no mention of any tile size, and their customer service is closed for the weekend.
Unread 11-17-2018, 12:09 PM   #154
makethatkerdistick

Are you planning on anything smaller than 2x2? Otherwise, I wouldn't worry.
Unread 11-18-2018, 12:44 PM   #155
ss3964spd

Yes, the tile we've found and like for the main floor come in a 1 3/8" mosaic for the shower floor. I'll give USG a ring tomorrow.

Finally got the foam shower pan set today. Mixed my Versabond just a little loose but still held a ridge from the USG recommended 1/4 X 3/8 trowel. Went down pretty easily but did have to place weighted objects on certain sections to keep them nice and flat to the floor.

Worst part was setting what USG calls their shower disk tray (into which the actual drain assembly goes). The disk tray must be fully embedded into the mortar, but the mortar combed out for the foam pan isn't nearly sufficient to embed the disk. I had to really load a bunch of mortar into the opening for the disk, bed it, then clean off all the mortar that oozed out. There's a bucket of water sitting on that, too, to keep it flat to the floor.

Next Step; installing the Ditra Heat Duo mats. Gonna need another bag of Versabond for that.
Unread 11-19-2018, 10:36 AM   #156
ss3964spd

USG confirms no size limit for the foam shower pan. This is A Good Thing, as I'm really tired of shopping for tile!

Got a few of the Ditra Heat Duo mats installed yesterday evening. Might stick a few more down this evening. The space will use up about 9 of the 2'7" X 3'3" mats. They aren't a lot of fun to put down.
Unread 11-19-2018, 12:49 PM   #157
speed51133

Schluter also did not give a min. tile size for their trays, but I am pretty sure most people know that less than 2in is asking for trouble.

Schluter also JUST released a new line of trays that use denser foam and the waterproofing kerdi pre-bonded. I have one and I can attest the foam is much denser. Schluter also shows penny mosaics in their brochure....

https://sccpublic.s3-external-1.amaz...20Brochure.pdf
Unread 11-19-2018, 12:57 PM   #158
makethatkerdistick

I suspect Dan wants to use epoxy grout which would help reinforce this installation but I am not a fan of small tile on foam tray either, regardless even though the manufacturer says its ok. As an overthinker/worrier, I'd be concerned about point load.
Unread 11-19-2018, 01:28 PM   #159
ss3964spd

Mike, Wolfgang,

The Durock foam shower pan board is 3lbs EPS - it seems pretty dense. Schluter's was 2.7, no idea what it is now.

The mosaic currently under consideration is either 1 3/8" or 1 1/2" square. And yes, epoxy grout is the plan at this point.
Unread 11-23-2018, 08:56 AM   #160
ss3964spd

Some progress pics.

Crown is up and looks pretty good. Composed of multiple pieces; 9/16"X3" flat stock to build it out from the wall so that the top edge of the shower tile won't protrude past the bottom edge of the crown, followed by 3 1/4" door casting laid flat, with the bottom of the beaded edge set even with the bottom of the flat stock, and finally the 3 and some odd inch crown, the bottom edge of which is positioned about 1 1/4" above the bottom of the beaded casting. Depot carries all these profiles in a product called, I think, Elegance, which is basically plastic coated, prefinished MDF. I reasoned that the coating should minimize growth/shrinkage from temp/humidity. I hope. MDF sure is wet noodle like; the 7 footers were not bad but the 14' pieces were a bear to handle. Still need to be painted though, and I'll use a small quarter round to finish the bottom edge outside of the shower area.
Attached Images

Last edited by ss3964spd; 11-23-2018 at 09:23 AM.
Unread 11-23-2018, 08:57 AM   #161
ss3964spd

Ditra Heat Duo is finally in. Will be laying out and installing the heat cable today.
Attached Images

Unread 11-23-2018, 09:10 AM   #162
ss3964spd

The custom sized USG foam shower pan is also in. Was super nervous about getting that thing right - must have measured for it a half dozen times. Thankfully it fit like a glove. All the wall prep/flattening paid off here, as the pan edge to wall gap is very consistent and straight, less than a 1/16th" gap around the entire perimeter.

USG's machining process leaves small ridges everywhere so after I finished laying the Ditra I used the left over batch of loose mixed mortar to fill in the ridges. Still need to set the drain flange - for which I get exactly one shot at getting right.
Attached Images

Unread 11-23-2018, 10:55 AM   #163
PC7060
...unrepentant, detail focused, over-analyzer.

Hey Dan - I like that USG made to order pan with standard drain. I’m falling out with the USG Infinity linear drain concept due to cost and availability issues. I’m sure you mentioned it elsewhere in your thread but can you tell me what you paid for the pan?

Last edited by PC7060; 11-23-2018 at 11:36 AM.
PC7060 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-23-2018, 11:46 AM   #164
ss3964spd

I'm impressed with the pan so far PC. For my shower it came in 6 pieces. It's perfectly cut, and seems really very solid once mortared to the substrate. To a OCD inflicted novice the blue plastic "disk tray" arrangement seems a little hinky but I'm sure it'll be fine.

It is too bad USG makes acquiring the custom pans so challenging. The one source (Emser Tile) I was referred to by the USG rep that services this area would not order it for me onnacount I'm not a contractor. But enough Googling turned up a source - Contractors Direct. Their CS rep knew what I was talking about, I completed the USG form (available on the USG website), I emailed it to CD, and boom - delivered to me directly in about a week.

I'll PM the quote I got from CD.
Unread 11-23-2018, 12:10 PM   #165
ss3964spd

Buzz Kill

Though I thought I accounted for everything, square footage, walls, etc-etc the Schluter 64 SF heat cable I ordered is toooo long. So will have to see if I can return it, or sell it at a discount, and order the next size down - which I think is 51 SF.

Boo. Hisssss.

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase