Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 01-03-2003, 07:13 AM   #1
Gonter

Shower Walls in new construction

We are in the process of building a new home and I am responsible for determining the interior. I want shower walls that are a solid unit (for easy cleaning) but don't want to spend the money for solid surface, like Corian, and don't like the looks of cultured marble. My husband has given me a budget of about $10 per square foot - what an inexpensive tile would cost. The walls will go all the way to the ceiling. The smallest shower is 72" (back wall) by 36" (side walls). The biggest shower is 96" (all walls) and will be a steam shower. Any thoughts?
Gonter is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 01-03-2003, 07:53 AM   #2
Jason_Butler
Tile Setter

Hi,

Pls consider that the $10 sq ft number will not only entail the tile but also the prep work. Since this is new construction and the areas are obviously wet ( especially the steam room), there should be no greenboard in any of the areas; only CBU which is slightly more expensive than greenboard. Vapor barrier will add a little but not much.

Nonetheless, for your budget I think a high end porcelain tile will work fine. Porcelain has a low water absorption rate, which is ideal for your application, and can be set with a very small grout line ( since it is dimensionally consistent). You will still have some grout lines but the tile / grout should clean quite well.

FWIW, the only "non-decorative" tile I've seen that is over the $10 budget is granite / marble.

Pls take a look at the Liberry and do your homework on the shower / steam room design specs.

Jason
Unread 01-03-2003, 04:31 PM   #3
John Bridge
Mudmeister

Send a message via AIM to John Bridge
Hi Gonter, Welcome. Please give us a first name.

What does the ten bucks include? Only the materials, right? It certainly won't cover everything.
John Bridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-03-2003, 04:37 PM   #4
John Bridge
Mudmeister

Send a message via AIM to John Bridge
If I'm using wall tile grout (unsanded), I set the soap dish with the grout. The trick is to burn a thin layer of thin set into the back of the fixture, then load on the grout and shove it into the hole. Won't come out in one piece.
John Bridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-12-2003, 01:19 PM   #5
Gonter

Thank you for the replies. I printed them out with other discussion threads on the subject of steam showers for my husband. They helped a great deal in our discussions with the builder. We will be going with porcelain tile in all the showers. The overall costs will be between $10 and $12 per square foot installed. I will be using tiles from American Marazzi Tile that I can get at a good price through my carpet distributer. They all have 3 or 4 ratings and are porcelain.

Is DuraRock the same as CBU for the steam shower? That is what our tile guy told the builder to get and we just want to make sure that is the right stuff.
Unread 01-12-2003, 01:23 PM   #6
Gonter

I am very sorry that I forgot my first name. It is Rachel. I think your sight is wonderful. My builder is also very impressed with the informaiton that is available.

Rachel
Unread 01-13-2003, 07:38 AM   #7
bbcamp

Durock is a CBU. It is portland cement sandwiched between 2 layers of fiberglass cloth. It will be OK in your steam shower.

Here is a drawing from the "Handbook of Ceramic Tile Installation" showing a steam shower built using CBU over wood frame construction:

Note the waterproof membrane. It is used to protect the rest of the building from the moisture that is sure to be present in your steam shower. It is shown under the CBU in the top half of the drawing, and over the CBU in the bottom half. Use one or the other, not both. There is some discussion as to CBU's ability to absorb and hold water, which, in time, leads to a mold problem. If there is anything to this, it would seem that the membrane applied to the surface of the CBU (bottom half of drawing) would be preferred.

While you are looking at the drawing, note the expansion joints. This detail is significantly different from a regular shower.
bbcamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-13-2003, 09:09 AM   #8
e3

Send a message via Yahoo to e3
i agree that the membrane is better on the face of the cbu until you get to the ceiling ,i would then switch it's postion and install the cbu over the membrane so the tile is bonded to the cbu and not the membrane. the penetrations in the membrane can be sealed with a sealant.
e3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase