Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 01-08-2003, 02:23 AM   #1
sooze

color matched caulk

Well, my hubby has been working hard on the granite tile backsplash over the past couple of weekends. I fell and hurt my shoulder, so I've just been supervisin'!

We're nearing the end of this tile journey and I have a question for you all bout color matched caulk. Specifically, C-Cure color matched caulk. Any comments, pos or neg? I guess I'll be using black, since that's what color my grout is....it's actually kinda a dark charcoal color, d'ya think the caulk will be charcoal'y?

And if I decide I don't want to spring for the pricey C-Cure caulk, (I *have* special ordered grout for my bathroom tile - Custom, I think...oh hell, whatever they sell at HD! 'spensive stuff!) can anybody recommend a black caulk to use where the backsplash meets the counter?

Thanks again,
Sue
sooze is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 01-08-2003, 07:05 AM   #2
tileguytodd
Official Felker Fanatic

Sue, you'll buy granite for a backsplash and not spend a couple extra dollars for a matching caulk,sounds like your concience(ms cheapo) is asserting herself
I mean really,what are we talking,9.00 a tube and 1 tube should be plenty!!!
Any matching caulk costs a little more.Afterall these companies arent really in the caulk buisiness.they are in the grout buisiness!!

I dont mean to sound harsh,and please dont take it that way.
You knew I and others would say this, you set yourself up.Get the matching caulk and go without chineese food this month

PS: Hope your shoulder feels better!!
tileguytodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-09-2003, 12:12 PM   #3
sooze

Ow-ow-ouch!

Yikes! Man oh man, did you misunderstand my question (or maybe I didn't make my question clear.) You're sounding a lot like that Bertoli fella on NTC that says, "It's only money!" I thought you guys liked DIYers here.

I have NO problem buying the color-matched caulk. I did say that I had purchased color-matched caulk before in my bathroom, which by the way, here in California, was $17.00 a tube about 3 years ago.

What I was trying to ask in plain English:

*I have never used C-Cure color matched caulk...do the colors match, because my *black* grout is actually *charcoal* color. So, is it worth paying the extra money, if C-Cure products are not actually "color-matched?"

And, Todd, if I did something to piss you off, sorry. I'll check back for an answer, but I won't bother you with any more questions.

sooze

BTW, I HATE Chinese food. My kitchen is being remodeled so that I can cook, something I LIKE to do.
Unread 01-09-2003, 12:24 PM   #4
shawnee

Smile

Hey Sooze, sorry to hear about your shoulder, hope it isn't serious. If I can play "innocent (???) outsider, I read what Drew wrote and think he was yanking your chain so to speak. Don't think that he was pissed off. Let me know what you find out and how the caulking job comes out, I am having a problem with the grout not adhering to the formica on a counter and maybe caulking would be the way to go. Didn't even think about the customizing of the color-see IT pays to read threads!!!
shawnee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-09-2003, 12:47 PM   #5
Cami A
Official Hostess and Moderator at Large

Sooze IIRC Todd's out laying a few miles of tile, so I'm stick in my two pesos and say that I also think Todd was just joking- he left smilies behind to prove it.

Shawnee, you've been here long enough not to be so innocent...

(Eating chicken fried rice at the moment...)
Unread 01-09-2003, 12:51 PM   #6
madmax

You can use clear caulk on black or dark granite? The matching caulk doens't always match and when you use clear on black is looks black.
madmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-09-2003, 12:52 PM   #7
bbcamp

Shawnee, grout will not stick to Formica (unless you don't want it to, then you can't get it off).
bbcamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-11-2003, 11:35 PM   #8
sooze

Thanks all for your input. I have to apologize for my response to Todd. I have had several very trying and upsetting days. My shoulder...and I saw my dad after not seeing him for 9 years - needless to say, I've been a little on the emotional side. Thanks for bearing with me.

Back to the caulk question. Cami, I don't think I can use clear because the tile on my counter is not black, it's a brown/black/blue combo. There used to be a picture in the Alumni Album, but I can't find it anymore. I was really hoping to find a charcoal gray caulk to match my charcoal (C-Cure calls it *black*) gray grout.

So, what I'm looking for is a (truly) charcoal gray grout to use. I hoped somebody might know of a brand name to offer up.

I took my final backsplash pieces to a local granite shop to have them bull-nosed, we're heading into the home stretch!

Thanks for all your help, don't think Gary and I could have done this without all of your help.

Sue
Unread 01-11-2003, 11:48 PM   #9
tileguytodd
Official Felker Fanatic

Your right, i did misunderstand your question .And Cami's right ,i was joking.Didnt mean to upset you.(17.00 for a tube of caulk is outrageous!!!!!!)I know what the stuff costs.
I use hydroment grouts and matching caulks mostly.I did use a custum sanded a couple times.It seemed close.Of course it wasnt dry when i left .I never got a complaint about it being a differant color so i believe it must have been a good enough match for this particular custumer.

And dont worry sooze,i got a thick skull. stuff just bounces off it all the time.When ya put rocks in for a living yousometimes end up with rocks for brains!!! Didnt mean to offend you.And once again I hope your shoulder is improving
Unread 01-12-2003, 05:31 AM   #10
Rob Z

Hi Sooze

Colorfast (www.colorfast.com) makes matching caulks for (I think) most of the major brands of grout. I think I pay about $6 a tube.

I have had good experience with the colors matching, but I did just get some for a JBS Forum member (Julie D.), and she said the color match was not good at all.
Unread 01-12-2003, 10:57 AM   #11
Bud Cline
Tile Contractor -- Central Nebraska

Hey Todd???

See how easy it happens man? What did I tell you?
Bud Cline is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-12-2003, 11:15 AM   #12
tileguytodd
Official Felker Fanatic

Yep Yep Yep
Unread 01-13-2003, 01:42 AM   #13
sooze

Rob, are you sure it's www.colorfast.com? I went to that site and I came up with a printing website....

Sue
Unread 01-13-2003, 07:16 AM   #14
Cisco
Long Island (NY) Stone setter

I think its www.colorfastind.com but that link is dead.....hmm

Cisco...
Cisco is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-13-2003, 06:57 PM   #15
Rob Z

Sooze

Sorry, Cisco is right....it is www.colorfastind.com.

The address on the back of the tube here at home is Color Fast Industries, Inc., Colton, CA 92324.

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase