Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 04-19-2004, 09:10 AM   #1
Twincharger

Laying Stone/Granite Tiles - 1st time.

Hi People

I've just stumbled upon this website after a search on the Net - cool site!

Please forgive me if this question has been asked before, but I have attempted to search for an answer and still not 100% sure.

Anyway, although I have never laid a floor tile in my life, I did recently fit some 10cm x 10cm ceramic wall tiles in my kitchen with success. For that reason I have decided to attempt to lay these huge polished stone/granite rectangular floor tiles (approx 60cm x 30cm) to my floor. They will be installed in a diagonal fashion but in the way brick walls are stacked. Because of this, I will not be able to insert the spacers into the tile spaces properly, but instead insert at each corner from above.

Now my floor is concrete (currently has vinyl cover on) and totally flat. I know that I have to make sure the surface is clean and to coat it twice with PVA solution. All skirting boards have been removed etc..

My question is about the cutter, I used a diamond edged wet blade for my ceramic tiles, this worked well (but a bit slow). I was wondering if I could also use a small angle-grinder with a stone blade/disc to cut these stone tiles?

I presume that laying these tiles will be the same as with ceramic? Are there any potential problems here that I am not aware of?
Twincharger is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 04-19-2004, 09:19 AM   #2
Mike2

Hi Twincharger and welcome to the Forum.

How thick are these granite tiles? About 10mm? If so, give that wet saw with the diamond blade a try, assuming you have the necessary clearances with that saw to cut such a large tile. Don't know what kind of saw you have but it most likely will cut granite OK assuming it's relatively thin, 10mm or so.
Mike2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-19-2004, 09:33 AM   #3
Twincharger

Hi Mike

Thanks for your reply. Yes the tiles are 10mm thick, now that you mention it I really think I need to hire a bigger tile cutter since they are longer than my current tile cutter! Never even thought about that - thanks.

Nad
Twincharger is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-19-2004, 05:40 PM   #4
John Bridge
Mudmeister

Send a message via AIM to John Bridge
Hello Nad, Welcome.

On this side of the pond we would probably remove as much vinyl glue as possible, test to make certain the residue is not water soluble, and then set the tiles with what we call modified thin set mortar. This type of bonding mortar already has the latex polymers in it -- no need to treat the floor beforehand. I think the same thing goes on over your way. The terms are different.

I think you should hire a good size wet saw to do the cutting. I really don't see any way around that given the size of the tiles and the fact they are natural stone.

You have the right idea on using the spacers. That method actually makes them much easier to remove once the tiles have set.
John Bridge is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase