Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Cleaning, Restoration and Sealing

Sponsors

Unread 08-03-2009, 02:23 PM   #1
Roger3125

Water stain on sealed porcelain tile

Tile was installed and sealed with penetrating seal about 5 months ago. As the photos show there is a ring shown where a flower pot was staining. As I rub my fingre acroos the circle it feels like the surface is not as smooth as the unstained tile.

What can I use to remove that circle mark.

Thanks all
Attached Images

Roger3125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 08-03-2009, 03:48 PM   #2
Davestone
Florida Tile & Stone Man

If the sealer was applied over the tile part of it may be sealer,but i think at least some of it is hard water,try some vinegar wait, then scrub off with a nylon brush and rinse well,then reseal the grout.

http://Davestonestile.com
Davestone is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-03-2009, 05:07 PM   #3
Roger3125

I tried that, well actually viniger/water, 50-50 (playing it safe) and some did come up but still the circle is noticable. What about using CLR?

Now going on assumtion I will be able to get rid of this stain 2 questions remain:

1. Shall I reseal the tile and grout in that area?
2. What can I place under the plant dishes to prevent this from happening?
Unread 08-03-2009, 05:18 PM   #4
ob1kanobee

1)A plant holder with tiny feet so it does not collect water(even then......).
or
2)Don't leave the plant there for extended periods of time and clean it every two weeks. How long was that plant just sitting there before you picked it up and noticed it? You have to pick things up and clean under them routinely to avoid the problem.

You probably need to scrub it again, one cleaning might not be enough and let it dry out a couple of days.

Once you get it where you want it then you can reseal tile and grout.

Rule number one in life: You go with what you got, imperfections and all.
ob1kanobee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-03-2009, 08:06 PM   #5
Roger3125

Well vinegar/water didn't do it, CLR (50%) didn't do much better. Now lifting other 3 planters found the same problem. This makes me ask

Was the tile sealed properly? Should porcelain when sealed properly allow this to happen? As i recall the workmen sealed the tile with HomeDepot brand penetrating seal.

Sounds like I will have to have the tile sealed again...if not HD brand sealant what should I use and if I did can these stains come back?
Unread 08-03-2009, 08:18 PM   #6
ob1kanobee

You could try sulfamic acid but DON'T use muratic only sulfamic. They sell it at Lowes, tile section, AquaMix products.

That sealer isn't really that good but leaving the pots on there is gonna keep causing problems unless you routinely clean. Were the pots setting on there for a while?

Rule number one in life: You go with what you got, imperfections and all.
ob1kanobee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-04-2009, 08:33 PM   #7
SABoyt
Tile, stone and grout cleaning and restoration

I have found that for us, the sulfamic is not as effective as the Zep professional CLR. Use it straight, don't dilute it. It's hard water stains and they are also hard to remove. Don't worry about what the CLR will do to the sealer, if there is any. Spray it on, and scrub with a medium bristle brush, then keep scrubbing and adding more CLR until you see it disappear. Be vigilant.

After it is cleaned, be sure to select a QUALITY sealer, like the Stonetech brand. If this is outdoors, also check to be sure the sealer is approved for UV exposure.
TMTrecovery.com
New and used Truck mounts
Cleaning and Sealing Trainer

ColorClad™ Premium ColorSeal Distributor
SABoyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-05-2009, 06:40 PM   #8
Roger3125

I gave it a second shot of CLR and this time straight, not diluted, as you advised. It is drying now but it appears to have helped a great deal. I am planning to give it a second shot of CLR staight tomorrow.

As i mentioned earlier this porcelanin tile was installed and sealed ABOUT 5 MONTHS AGO. I know I have to reseal the areas I've been scrubbing but what about the rest of the tile?

Is there a simple test to determine if I need to seal the entire patio again?

Also he sealed it with Home Depot Penetrating Seal. Must i use the same seal or can I use a better brand seal?

Thanks all and I'll post BEFORE and AFTER pics
Unread 08-05-2009, 07:09 PM   #9
Roger3125

AND HERE ARE THE PICS

Compare with the first photo and you will have to agree that did it. I am also showing the same area from a lower view. It appear it needs to be sealed again.

Should I expect that when I do lay some seal on it will it again blend in the the rest of the patio tile?

What about those few light spots on the grout. Can I get that white stuff off somehow before i reseal?

A huge thanks to all
Attached Images

Unread 08-05-2009, 07:14 PM   #10
SABoyt
Tile, stone and grout cleaning and restoration

Roger, good to hear you are making progress. It would be best to use the same sealer as before since some of it may still be present and most brands are not compatible with each other. If there is very little or no sealer present then choose a good quality sealer of your choice.

Use an eyedropper or turkey baster and put some drops of water on the tile and on the grout in several areas. Let them sit for 5 minutes and then wipe them away. If there is discoloration where the water drops were, the sealer needs to be added. From the looks of the picture, the grout under the pot was either stained with dirt from the pot or is showing that it is absorbing water already.

What you may be seeing(as i am seeing in the pics) is that the area under the pot is clean!!! But the balance of the area is dirty. Hence the difference in color of the tile.
TMTrecovery.com
New and used Truck mounts
Cleaning and Sealing Trainer

ColorClad™ Premium ColorSeal Distributor
SABoyt is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase