Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 05-02-2003, 11:44 AM   #1
kiefer

Angry white tiles + snow white grout = pink tiles ?????

HELP !!!!!!!

After weeks of preparation and hard work, I have finally just grouted my once-beautiful white and black tile bath. After applying the grout, the tiles have appeared to turn PINK !!!!!

My first thought was that I was wearing a bright red shirt and the color must just be reflecting, so I immediately took off the shirt (yes, nude tiling adds an interesting twist). To my dismay, the tiles were still PINK.

After rinsing the grout many, many times, the color is not so noticable, but it is still there. The tiles are the standard 6x6 white wall tiles (from Home Depot) and the grout is snow white custom, non-sanded (also from home depot). I used a standard grout float (admitedly, the cheapest one, but still ...).

Any ideas of what caused this and HOW TO TURN THEM BACK TO WHITE ??? Should I buy some special cleaner?

Thank in advance for the much anticipated advice,
Kiefer
kiefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 05-02-2003, 01:00 PM   #2
Paul D.
Engineer/Grammarian - Austin

Keifer,

Wait for others to get some depth on this answer, but have you tried Custom's tech support? They are in CA, so you have a few hours left to get them.

Sulfamic acid may be a good method to remove any residue that may be causing this coloration. It is available as a powder most everywhere.

Good luck...
Paul D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-02-2003, 02:06 PM   #3
davem
Systems Engineer and Moderator, JB Forums

Send a message via AIM to davem Send a message via Yahoo to davem
Are they dry yet? mebbe they show a tint when moist.
davem is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-02-2003, 06:15 PM   #4
tileguytodd
Official Felker Fanatic

My first question would be What did you use to set the tile??

Let me guess,some type of Mastic?
Unread 05-02-2003, 06:45 PM   #5
Bri
The Ditra Kid

Is the tile body red clay or white?....did you wipe down the walls with a red towel or anything like that?

“The world is a tangled up necklace of pearls"
Bri is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-02-2003, 07:00 PM   #6
kiefer

No, I did NOT use mastic ... I do my research and I know the rules! I used white versabond thinset. Didn't use any red towels either. Oh ya, and the tiles are plain white body clay.

I talked to custom tech support and they suggested I wipe down with the tilelab heavy duty cleaner/stripper so I'm going to do that first thing in the morning. I sure hope it works.

I still really want to know what happened but the guy at custom said there is no way the grout did it.
Unread 05-02-2003, 07:13 PM   #7
Jason_Butler
Tile Setter

Did you mix your grout in a red bucket ???? I had a blue bucket that "bled" on my white grout once.

Jason
Unread 05-02-2003, 08:18 PM   #8
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

Some brands of white tile aren't very white and isn't noticeable until you get the snow white grout next to it. I have used Florida F1 white in one of my baths and it isn't as white as the white grout.
Davy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-03-2003, 05:30 AM   #9
tileguytodd
Official Felker Fanatic

Didnt mean to swear at you Kiefer OK No mastic!! Good!!
Ive used that same Florida and it has a pink cast next to brite white grout especially in flourecant lighting.
If the tile cleaner does not take care of the problem i would reccomend a test board about 18" square.set some tiles and grout with a light grey grout.see if the pink cast dissapears in your lighting.If so a grout stain may save the day. Just a thought in the event the cleaner doesnt change things.Good Luck and I hope the cleaner works for you.Let us Know OK
Unread 05-03-2003, 02:34 PM   #10
kiefer

Well, after much scrubbing and rubbing today, I have removed most of the grout haze (that tilelab stuff didn't really make it any easier). The pink color faded a bit as I removed the haze, but it's still there.

I think you guys are absolutely right - the tile color just appears to have changed, since the grout is so white (by the way, the grout does not match the color on the box ... I purposely bought this color of grout so that it would NOT be brighter than the tiles, oh well).

So ... I'm going to take up your suggestion of looking into grout stain. I will do my research and see if it's worth the trouble. It really isn't that noticable, my husband thinks I'm taking this all to seriously ... but I figure if I've gone this far, I might as well see it through to it's perfect end!

thanks for all the suggestions - i'll let you know about the stain.
Kiefer
Unread 05-03-2003, 02:54 PM   #11
kemguru
Colorado Chemist

Ok

You removed most of the haze? And as this haze was being removed the pink was fading? So does this mean there is, or might be, some haze left on the tiles? What Tile Lab product did you use that did not help you out much?

Grout Stains & Colorants will work, no doubt about it, but I always like to save them for when nothing else will work. Is this a tile shower, or just a bath. I cant recommend a stain or colorant in a shower due to vapor transmission issues, but if it is just a bath you can get away with it.

We still might be able to attack this with something other than a colorant.

"There are no rules here - we're trying to accomplish something."
Thomas Edison
kemguru is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-03-2003, 05:31 PM   #12
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

All the haze needs to be cleaned off or a colorant will just stain the haze and look worse. I agree about not using a colorant unless You have to.
Davy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-04-2003, 07:13 AM   #13
John Bridge
Mudmeister

Send a message via AIM to John Bridge
Nude tiling. Geez.

I think you are seeing the color of the tiles. I would chill out a little. Are they shiny when you dust them off? If so, you're done. Seal the tile and grout. Find a jug of wine somewhere . . . ., not pink, though.

John Bridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-04-2003, 09:50 AM   #14
scott anthony
Tile Man -- Central Florida

Where are the pictures when we need them?
scott anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-04-2003, 09:53 AM   #15
tileguytodd
Official Felker Fanatic

Hopefully better pictures than mine

Its my scanner honest it just wont do what i want.
OK done whining

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase