Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Professionals' Hangout

Sponsors

Unread 12-25-2004, 01:35 PM   #1
tilesnake

Dewalt tile saw

Who here owns or has used the dewalt d24000 tile saw? very interestig saw, I know Tod's gonna rip me a new one for this but I gotta know!

Tilesnake.
tilesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 12-25-2004, 01:41 PM   #2
Jason_Butler
Tile Setter

Someone brought that up a day or so ago...here's the thread. It'll save you the rippin'

start with post #3..

http://johnbridge.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=18480
Unread 12-25-2004, 02:16 PM   #3
Shaughnn
Trowel Monkey

from the pictures I've seen, it looks like it's a wierd "compound-miter hybrid"? With all those moving parts and sliding doo-dads, I can see how a decent run of red-bodied tile would gum that baby up badly. But it's a neat-o idea.
Shaughnn
Shaughnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-25-2004, 04:47 PM   #4
K_Tile
Member of Million SF Club!!

I know of one person on the board that has one. I have heard it wont be available until mid-Jan! Wondering how that one person already has one? He knows people
Unread 12-25-2004, 05:43 PM   #5
Jason_Butler
Tile Setter

Kevin,

Looks like amazon has them...

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS...446192-9905453
Unread 12-25-2004, 07:35 PM   #6
K_Tile

Possible, I guess! I emailed several other online Dewalt dist. and they said not available until Mid-Jan. I'll have to see if Amazon has any answers. Thanks for the heads up. I emailed Dewalt directly two weeks ago and no reply. Their customer service hotline is great! Wonder if their warranties hold up just as good.
Unread 12-26-2004, 05:25 AM   #7
tileguytodd
Official Felker Fanatic

Go ahead,go buy a Black and Decker Tile saw,first one they have ever made.Spend more for it than you would for a Felker TM-1 thats been the standard since before you were born.Geeez some peoples Kids!!!!
Ya try to help em and they just gotta learn the hard way!!
Unread 12-26-2004, 09:25 AM   #8
jerrymlr1

I'll try one if it's made in the states. If it's not forget it. I'll stick with MK until they start having theirs made in China like some others, Felker included Todd.
jerrymlr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-26-2004, 10:05 AM   #9
rob 223

Quote:
Originally Posted by tileguytodd
Go ahead,go buy a Black and Decker Tile saw !!!!
Thats not really fair its like calling a corvette a chevy.
rob 223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-26-2004, 10:10 AM   #10
Jason_Butler
Tile Setter

I like Jerry's attitude. My TM1 was made in the USA as fas as I know. The MKs were definitely made in the states.

I do alot of woodwork as well and spend quite a bit of greenback on woodworking tools. Powermatic has always been the Felker of the woodworking world. I have a Powermatic bandsaw that is over 20 yrs old and still strong. Delta was the same way 'til they gave in to the price pressures of the "homeowner" mentality.

Anyway, Delta and Powermatic ( among others) have resorted to China as a manufacturing site. The result- warped castings, cheap components, heavy blade runout, and alot of shipping problems. I see the same trends in my engineering profession. Powermatic and Delta still stand strong on their warranty but at what cost.

I really like Dewalt. I've never had a Dewalt fail on me. However, Todd made a good point. Why buy the first outta' the box for $900 when a proven Felker can be had for the same ( or less) money?

Jason
Unread 12-26-2004, 11:52 AM   #11
K_Tile

Todd,
You are preaching to the choir, buddy!

I have two Felker TM-HDs, one Felker TM-XL, and a Felker TM-75. I also have MK-100, MK-101 Pro and a MK 145. I have yet to see Felker or MK engineer a saw with the ideas Dewalt has came up with. Maybe Felker should take note and see the revolution. Just kidding! If I want the same bennies from either Felker or MK I would have to buy a bridge saw that weighs over 150lbs. The Dewalt will cut an 18" diag and a 24" rip, which is the same as my TM-XL. The only difference with the Dewalt, I wont have to balance a 24" tile on a 6" bullnose plate to make a cut. This Dewalt isn't going to replace my Felker production saw on my next department store. However I will give Dewalt the benefit of me inspecting their saw and possibly trying one out. Dewalt offers a 30-day no questions asked return policy. If I decided to buy one and don’t like it I’ll return! I’ll even come back here and say, “Todd you were right, it sucks!” But at least I’ll have an honest opinion based on actual knowledge for everyone to base their own decisions on.
Unread 12-26-2004, 12:26 PM   #12
jerrymlr1

Wow! That's a lot of saws Kevin. If you do try one of these be sure to let us know. I for one would like to hear an unbiased opinion.
Jerry
jerrymlr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-26-2004, 01:13 PM   #13
Jason_Butler
Tile Setter

I'm really interested in the slide design. Felker is simple and effective. MK has a good idea but you gotta keep the rails clean and push the tray near the rail to avoid binding.

Let us know Kevin, I'm all ears..

Jason
Unread 12-27-2004, 06:25 AM   #14
tileguytodd
Official Felker Fanatic

Kevin, Whats your point

Oh, ok i get it.

1 at a time

CORVETTE is a Chevy ,is now and always has been!!!I have never seen a corvete that did not carry the chevy logo,Have you???

Felker has saws made overseas and saws made here in the states.Same as almost every manufacturer from the USA(i did say almost).
Warranties and handling problems are what can come of this situation and seperates the real companies from the Players.Who handles warranty issues or problems BETTER than Felker?? Name me One???

Kevin, i applaud you spending the money on an untested in the field product.Perhaps you might consider giving it a few months and seeing what Dave Gobis has to say about its viability as a saw that can be shoved into the truck daily and hauled around daily while being put to a myriad of differant tasks.
Just a thought,i'd save you a bit of trouble if i could.Perhaps Dave will have a favorable report on this saw after its seen some hard use.30 days isnt near enough time to see how a saw will perform.
In the last 3 weeks i wouldnt even be able to do a decent test on a saw with 4 1/4" wall and 6x6 floor tile in a motel.It takes a few good sized jobs to make a good test of a saw.
My experiance with Dewalt is not unfavorable,but it is also not good enough to spend more on a new untested product than i would for a product which has set the standard.
Besides, it might not even be made by Dewalt, it might be made by QEP and private labeled,thier yellow too .

They are interesting but then so was the Pearl and we all know how that went

Kevin,my point is this.If you are going to spend hard earned money on a critical tool for your trade.(and who here that has lots of experiance is going to listen to me exclusivly anyways? This is mostly for the newer younger setter's who wants experianced advice)Get the proven tools first!!(you have several proven tools kevin so this is little risk)Then if you want to try differant new tools,you can do so without possibly affecting your ability to do your job and earn your keep.
Do you Understand my position better now??
Unread 12-27-2004, 09:45 AM   #15
K_Tile

Todd,
You point was taken. Thats why my main saw has a backup and that backup has a backup. When you do alot of night work and something goes wrong its done! The game changes when its 3:00am and your only saw breaks. Starting the first of the year I have a 10,000+sf quarry tile job for Dewalts sake I hopes its available

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase