Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 09-24-2020, 12:26 PM   #1
mdleal

Tile over Tile?

Redoing our downstairs bathroom and pulled up some fake wood flooring to find what looks like a 1960's tile job. Can I lay down cement board and lay new tile over the old? It's a pier and beam house. There is also some weird cement repair job on the close left hand side. I'm guessing they need to level that area to install the fake wood. Oh yeah, Wife wants hexagon mosaic tile if that matters.
Attached Images

Unread 09-24-2020, 01:45 PM   #2
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

If you don't own one, I would rent an electric chipping hammer and bust it all out.

www.davystephenstile.com
Davy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-24-2020, 02:19 PM   #3
jadnashua
Veteran DIYer- Schluterville Graduate

STAR Senior Contributor

Removing what's there is probably the better choice, but if you did want to tile over what's there, you'd first need to clean off those tile much better. Then, you'd want to examine them to see if there are any cracks. If there are none, and you can accept the increase in height with a new layer, you cannot install a cement board, but you should probably install a primer specifically designed for tiling, then you can add the thinset and new tile on top of it. You'll also want to check to see how flat the existing tile is, as if it's wavy or uneven, do not expect to flatten things with thinset, it should be done with different materials.

If there are any areas without tile that are going to be tiled, there are patching materials that can be used to fill in, depending on what is below.
Not a pro, multiple Schluter Workshops (Schluterville and 2013 and 2014 at Schluter Headquarters), Mapei Training 2014, Laticrete Workshop 2014, Custom Building Products Workshop 2015, and Longtime Forum Participant.
jadnashua is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-24-2020, 02:23 PM   #4
mdleal

So pretty much the same amount of work either way I go but removing the old tile I might have a better outcome. If I do remove the current tile I will have to lower the baseboards or get taller ones to make up for larger gap at the floor level.
Unread 09-24-2020, 02:31 PM   #5
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

It'll be more work to remove the tile and build back up but you likely would end up with a better job. The height change would have to be dealt with at the doorway and with the toilet flange.

Is the tile already higher than the outside floor? Looks like you might have quarter round tiles across the doorway. A picture of that might be helpful.

www.davystephenstile.com
Davy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-24-2020, 02:55 PM   #6
mdleal

The bathroom is about 6in taller then the floor so it's a step up to get in.
Unread 09-25-2020, 07:01 AM   #7
ss3964spd

Send a message via Yahoo to ss3964spd
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael
The bathroom is about 6in taller then the floor so it's a step up to get in.
Odd, any idea why? Older house with a newer addition?
ss3964spd is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-25-2020, 08:39 AM   #8
mdleal

I think it was a closet converted to a bathroom. It's under the stairs. I don't know why it's raised. Only reason I would think it's raised is for plumbing reasons so I crawled under the house to verify. Nope, plumbing runs close to the ground. I almost want to lower.

I purchased a hammer drill yesterday from harbor freight. Today I'll start removing the old tile.
Attached Images

Unread 09-25-2020, 08:46 AM   #9
ss3964spd

Ok, from odd to super weird.

There must be something under that, as I can't fathom a different reason why someone would raise the floor.

Looks like you'll find out soon!
Unread 09-25-2020, 08:53 PM   #10
Jim Farrell Tiler
dont blame me i didnt vote for him

i tiled my dining room over the existing tiles i laid about 10 years previously, removal of the tiles would have resulted in destroying about a $1000 worth of undertile heating, i ran a grinder over the tiles to remove the surface glaze and primed the floor with mapei prim grip and tiled over it with 1.2 x .6 tiles, there was also a step up into the room so the height difference didnt matter
Unread 09-26-2020, 08:24 AM   #11
mdleal

Well this isn't going well. Should Have just went over the top. Looks like a thick mud bed. Any ideas what my next step should be. Don't Say rip it out please.
Attached Images

Unread 09-26-2020, 08:37 AM   #12
ss3964spd

Could be a mud bed, Michael, but I bet it isn't 6" worth of mud bed. Given the 6" height I'd guess it's 2X4 framing, plywood on top, then mud.

I'd simply have to get to the bottom of it, the 6" step up would be a no-go for me. At the very least I'd have to know why it's there. If it can come out I understand doing so creates even more work, like replacing the drywall and door trim, which wasn't in your original plan, but that's remodeling.

IMO, natch.
Unread 09-26-2020, 09:09 AM   #13
mdleal

I was thinking about putting up wainscoting so walls shouldn't be an issue. Guess ill work on figuring out how thick this bed is and why its raised.

Last edited by mdleal; 09-26-2020 at 11:58 AM.
mdleal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-26-2020, 05:07 PM   #14
mdleal

Mud bed out!! it was only about 2" thick so not too bad. I don't think I'm going to be able to lower the floor due to the sink drain and it might be too much work either way. Should I go back to another mud bed or plywood and cement board?
Attached Images

Unread 09-26-2020, 05:20 PM   #15
jadnashua
Veteran DIYer- Schluterville Graduate

STAR Senior Contributor

Are those planks T&G, if not, you might as well tear them out, too. That would give you access to the plumbing and might give you some options on how to relocate it so it won't require the floor to be raised. New tile over those planks, at the minimum, would require a layer of plywood, then your choice of tiling interface, something like Ditra or a cement board.

You don't want to leave galvanized drain pipes in there (at least that's what it looks like). Especially on an older home, the insides are almost certainly rusting. Do you know if the sink is properly vented? A house that age is more likely to have an S-trap, which, should you be getting this inspected, would not pass.
Not a pro, multiple Schluter Workshops (Schluterville and 2013 and 2014 at Schluter Headquarters), Mapei Training 2014, Laticrete Workshop 2014, Custom Building Products Workshop 2015, and Longtime Forum Participant.
jadnashua is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase