Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Professionals' Hangout

Sponsors

Unread 08-31-2020, 11:22 AM   #16
Tiger Mountain Tile Inc
Registered Muser

For subways, I typically use Daltile's which have the continuous lug. I've found them to be a pretty consistent quality with good glazing. I'm not talking about Home Depot's version of Dal but the ones straight from the distributer.

Justin, I just assumed East Texas meant Dallas area with TX being such a small state and all. Practically, everything the Seattle Daltile carries is shipped from the Dallas Daltile.

Why you should NOT buy a newly remodeled home ~DIYTileGuy
Tiger Mountain Tile Inc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-21-2020, 04:39 AM   #17
CRB
Tile, stone and mosaic installer

Surprised you even have spacer lug tiles! Back in the 80s they were what was typical when I started, however apart from commercial bathrooms for example, most jobs / designs moved away from the type of tile that would be made that way on looks basis pretty soon.

They were discontinued from being made by the likes of Pilkingtons & Johnsons.

I'm going to add that in my developing as a tiler back then where a job was using them and worth it I made the choice to 'set' the joint and gapped them slightly beyond the lugging. For both reasons of a better job, and that we were finding there were expansion issues across the field that meant areas 'blowing' off the wall - debonding but we didn't call it that then - sometimes within months of fitting. There would have been other issues at play all relevant to the time too, all of which are part of the story of tiling being so very different nowadays!

The joint being set meant a better looking job was achieved. The grout didn't sit in the joint created on the lugged 'gap' very well, especially on the 'universal joint' / continious lug type tiles.
All those tiles would be 4" or 6" sq - tiling work was so much lighter then!

The UK standards / codes were raised shortly after mid 80s and tiles then always had to be joint set. Someone fairly soon after started up selling the cross spacers. Did they come from over there btw?

Continental tiles were imported to UK in the mid 80s and used increasingly for their variety and looks - and they did not use that lug system anyway. The UK tile making got left behind and volume manufacture ceased in the subsequent 10 years or so.

That is my general recollect of this - any UK / Euro additions welcome of course!
CB

Colin Barber Tiling Co.
In Christchurch New Zealand. From London UK

www.colin-barber.com
CRB is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase