Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 10-15-2018, 09:56 PM   #1
hhcibtpaun

Unmodified for large format porcelain?

Hey Folks,

I have a question that may be a tad off the norm.

I ripped up a tile floor from a concrete floor and have plans to lay down some luxury vinyl tile. However after ripping up the existing tile I noticed that the concrete floor settled (4th floor condo), and dropped in a section by about 1/2". I am planning to install cabinets before laying down the new floor.

Since the one wall of cabinets is 1/2" lower, than the other, I need to "shim" up about 1/2" for a section that is about 2' x 4'. My original thought was to just use some cement board or hardiboard and thinset that to the floor (no screws), since it is just a shim under the cabinets. I still may go that route, but I purchased some large format tiles (12"x24") for $.25 each. My plan is to just thinset these directly to the concrete....

So, my question is do I need any special large format tile thinset, or can I just use a $6.00 bag of TEC unmodified from lowes? I think my research led me to believe that the unmodified can dry without much air, so it may work for the large format tiles.

Again, this is just a shim for under 2 cabinets, so it just needs to fill 1/2" and does not need to be pretty. Will the unmodified be fine, or do I need to have something special? Would my thought on hardibacker without screws work?

Looking for a quick solution...Have the counter guys coming in a day or two and I need to get the cabinets in so they can template. I started out using cedar shims, but want to have support under the entire cabinet...the floor has imperfections, so the thinset will help smooth those out, then i figure I can just press and level the tiles or hardiboard...

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks....Mike
Unread 10-15-2018, 10:03 PM   #2
jadnashua
Veteran DIYer- Schluterville Graduate

STAR Senior Contributor

Is is sort of a bowl like depression? Might be a good candidate for Ardex's Liquid Backerboard. The tile and thinset might work, but maybe harder to actually get it all leveled out.
Not a pro, multiple Schluter Workshops (Schluterville and 2013 and 2014 at Schluter Headquarters), Mapei Training 2014, Laticrete Workshop 2014, Custom Building Products Workshop 2015, and Longtime Forum Participant.
jadnashua is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-15-2018, 10:06 PM   #3
hhcibtpaun

its just like the floor settled at the expansion joint. If I put 1/2" wood shim down the length of the cabinets I can get it close...i was going to just throw down 1/2 sheet of plywood, but there is some thinset still on the floor, so i figured a 3/8" tile and thinset would give some wiggle room...
Unread 10-16-2018, 12:04 AM   #4
Tool Guy - Kg
Moderator -- Wisconsin Kitchen & Bath Remodeler

Yeah, you could use this cheap mortar for this application.

However, if the level of the floor outside this area is wavy, you might wanna think about using a leveling product for the whole floor. Floors sure do look and feel nice when they're really flat.

Help an awesome summer camp!
Tool Guy - Kg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-16-2018, 06:04 AM   #5
hhcibtpaun

thanks, yes for the floor outside this area, i think self leveler is in my future....

thanks...Mike

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase