Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 04-28-2013, 06:53 PM   #1
Beowulf

Ditra vs Redgard for floors

This is my first post and possibly my first tile project. Let's say you are happy with your subfloor thickness and deflection, but want to waterproof. Is there a reason to use Ditra instead of just painting it with Redgard?
Unread 04-28-2013, 07:15 PM   #2
jadnashua
Veteran DIYer- Schluterville Graduate

STAR Senior Contributor

Ditra gives the additional benefit of decoupling better than the RedGard. Have you watched the video on the Schluter website on how Ditra actually works? It takes two coats, properly installed, with RedGard to make things waterproof. Now, to be useful, you'd have to waterproof up the walls, but then, what about the doorway? Most people find waterproofing a bathroom floor isn't a big deal and don't.
Not a pro, multiple Schluter Workshops (Schluterville and 2013 and 2014 at Schluter Headquarters), Mapei Training 2014, Laticrete Workshop 2014, Custom Building Products Workshop 2015, and Longtime Forum Participant.
jadnashua is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-28-2013, 08:18 PM   #3
Beowulf

Yes, this would be for a Vanity area with closet. Then through a door to a toilet and shower area. The shower is an enclosed 3'X3' plastic unit. I'm guessing with this type of situation most people would not waterproof.

Right now the vanity and closet area is just carpet and the toilet shower area is vinyl.

I want to tile everything.
Unread 04-28-2013, 08:34 PM   #4
cx
Moderator emeritus

Welcome, Travis.

You ain't the real Beowulf are ya? I don't never remember him callin' hisownself Travis.

You can use RedGard over plywood as a crack isolation product, but not as a waterproofing membrane. Use over exterior glue plywood is for interior dry areas only.

I recommend you go to the CBP RedGard website and look at the Technical Data Sheet for the product before you go further with your plans.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-28-2013, 08:36 PM   #5
Elkski
Took the Schluter part 1 class my team won!

I assume you want to protect from an overflowing toilet? Wet feet and such will not be and issue for a tile floor over cbu with no redguard. If you want to provide some protection as in delay before hitting ceiling below) for an overflow you need to use sealant on the bottom of the baseboards and around the toilet. You can put kerdi band on top of cbu and 2" up the wall instead of caulking baseboards.
Ps I was taught not to seal all around a toilet so you get a warning if the seal starts leaking. Really baths and laundry rooms are not designed very well in case of floods.
Unread 04-28-2013, 08:43 PM   #6
Beowulf

I'd be pretty old if I was the real Beowulf. Although, from the stories, you'd think he might have figured out a way to beat the reaper as well.

I will definitely read up on Redgard's site.

An overflow situation is not something I had thought of. There is zero protection from that right now. The linoleum goes straight under the wood baseboards now with now caulking. If there was an overflow situation it would just flood my bedroom vanity area soak right through everywhere and flood my kitchen and downstairs half bath.

Just another thing to worry about.

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase