Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 02-20-2013, 09:56 AM   #1
LB5045
Know just Enough to be Dangerous.......

Re-grouting over new grout

Hello all,
I know this is probably been asked 100's of times but I'm new at this and have been searching and have found little on it. I have installed new porcelain "mosaic" tiles on the floor. I can't grout the whole thing at once because I have kids and it's the only bathroom I have. My question is the first section I grouted (toilet area) came out good, the height of the grout set well as did the color. I just grouted another section and the grout set further down than before. It also seems to be a lighter color. Could I just re-grout over the newly put down grout to cover what set too low? Also I seem to be getting quite a few holes developing after it dries. I see some when I am working the grout and fix that on the fly, but some small holes appear later. Thanks
Attached Images

Unread 02-20-2013, 10:13 AM   #2
John Bridge
Mudmeister

Send a message via AIM to John Bridge
Hi Leo,

I think if you just dampen the grout you can go over it with new grout. The longer you wait the harder it will be to get the new to stick to the old, though.
John Bridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-20-2013, 10:25 AM   #3
stevencholland
steve

Hi Leo, sounds like the grout was too wet on the second attempt. That causes a lot of holes in the grout. If your are mixing the grout with a power tool, slow the speed down. To fast can cause air bubbles.
Unread 02-20-2013, 11:47 AM   #4
gsr

Leo, when you grout in sections it's difficult to get the batches mixed the same as you've discovered. Develop an accurate measuring routine for the dry grout and liquid and do it exactly the same each time including the mixing method and time.
Unread 02-21-2013, 03:30 PM   #5
LB5045

Thanks for the fast replies.

I realized yesterday after I read the replies, that the 1st batch was about a little thinner than peanut butter. The 2nd batch was a lot thinner. When I went in and looked at it after it dried, there was a light & shiny haze on top of the grout. It looked as though it didn't set rite. I started to rough the top up to re-grout that section and saw many holes appearing.

I am now scraping all of the "second batch" out and I'm going to have to do it over again. I think the first consistency was good. Also, I mixed the first 'small' batch by hand, and the second 'bigger' batch with a spiral mixer in a battery drill. I didn't think it was too fast but that's inexperience talking. I will mix the next batch on screw driving speed and with a lot less water.... Thanks again.
Attached Images

Unread 02-21-2013, 04:03 PM   #6
Tool Guy - Kg
Moderator -- Wisconsin Kitchen & Bath Remodeler

Welcome to the forum, Leo.

Yep, like they said, seems like it was mixed too wet. And that picture showing the holes is also consistent with moving the float over the area too quickly. You need to really pack the grout into each grout joint. Grout is more easily packed in when you run the float on a 45 degree angle to the grout line. It helps force it in without trapping air pockets that prevent grout from being packed in. With the tile pattern you have, you've got tons of grout lines in every which direction. Work the grout in from a few different angles over a given area. It's not a light duty job to grout. Especially with the next batch being mixed a little thicker, your wrists may complain a bit and you'll be sweating.

Help an awesome summer camp!
Tool Guy - Kg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-21-2013, 04:07 PM   #7
tileaz

Mixing the grout properly will also help against shading issues.
Unread 02-21-2013, 08:16 PM   #8
Paramount Installer
Chicago Tile Contractor

If you keep the consistency like peanut butter, it will make for an easier reference. As a professional, you become acustomed to mixing different sized batches by hand. But as a novice, it behooves you to measure out your quantities for consistency.
Also, by keeping the consistency like peanut butter, it's harder to wash the grout out of the joint like you did on your last batch.

"Associate with men of good quality if you esteem your own reputation; for it is better to be alone than in bad company."
George Washington

http://www.paramountinstallations.com
Paramount Installer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-21-2013, 11:36 PM   #9
Seattle Tile Cleaning
Seattle Tile Cleaning

Are you using unsanded grout. That could be a big part of your problem.
Unread 02-22-2013, 10:26 AM   #10
LB5045

Yes I am using non sanded grout. Polyblend. Finished scraping out as much as i could of the new - old stuff, and hopefully ready to put down the new thicker 2.0 version. LOL.

Also, this may be a dumb question, but if I work the grout on all of the floor at once, how do i get back on it to sponge it and finish the job? I was under the impression once you grout an area you can't get back on it. It's a small bathroom and no way to get to the end again unless you step back on the floor that was just grouted.

Last edited by LB5045; 02-22-2013 at 11:04 AM. Reason: Another thought...
LB5045 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-22-2013, 10:53 AM   #11
Richard Tunison
Retired Tile Contractor

Good catch Troy.

Leo,,,, those size joints require SANDED grout.
Unread 02-22-2013, 11:09 AM   #12
LB5045

Richard,

Thanks for the reply. I have the nonsanded grout around the toilet that I just set down. It seems to have come out OK, so I didn't scrape it out. It's about a 2' x 2.5' section. If I go get SANDED grout and put it down, should I scrape up that too? I thought sanded grout left a texture. this is a bathroom. and I have to seal it too.
Unread 02-22-2013, 11:17 AM   #13
Richard Tunison
Retired Tile Contractor

I would scrape it out Leo so everything is the same. Ideally, you want the grout joint to be 2/3 the depth of the tile itself for proper bonding so I would scrape out more that what I see in the picture. Sanded grout does have a slight texture,,,,,,, but the way you use the sponge when cleaning has a lot to do with the finish on the joint. Use a sponge that is wrung out as hard as you can and rinse said sponge after every pass.
Unread 02-22-2013, 01:28 PM   #14
LB5045

OK, I have the 'Triangle' scraper and used it. I can't get all of it out with that. I don't have the thin blade scraper, do I need to pick up that when I get the sanded grout?

Also what about being on the tile after grouting. To wipe it down? Do I put a board down, and kneel on it?

Thanks.....
Unread 02-22-2013, 01:46 PM   #15
Richard Tunison
Retired Tile Contractor

Yes, a manual grout saw would make your life easier. Be extremely careful not to chip your tiles.

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?productId=100675198&storeId=10051&langId=-1&catalogId=10053&ci_sku=100675198&ci_kw={keyword}&kwd={keyword}&cm_mmc=shopping-_-googleads-_-pla-_-100675198&ci_gpa=pla#.USfKdldE_FI

Working on a board is an excellent idea. Have a small amount of grout with you while wiping the floor down. There are ALWAYS small places where you need to touch it up.

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase