Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 11-21-2012, 12:46 PM   #1
troyce1

1/8" gaps - sanded vs unsanded grout

The contractor doing our bathroom floor tile set 12x24" tiles using 1/8" spacers. I had bought sanded grout from the tile store, but he insisted on using un-sanded as he said the sanded grout would not get down in between the tiles enough and would end up cracking over time.

I'm wondering what others have to say about it? I've never used un-sanded grout anywhere. He only put it under the vanity so that the counter people could measure over the weekend, so I could potentially switch back to sanded even though he was adament against it.

Thoughts?
Unread 11-21-2012, 01:32 PM   #2
Tool Guy - Kg
Moderator -- Wisconsin Kitchen & Bath Remodeler

Hi Terry,

1/8" is the middle ground where either can be used:
Unsanded grout shrinks and it's meant for sizes up to 1/8"

Sanded grout doesn't shrink like unsanded does and is meant from 1/8" up to about 1/2". There are some differences among brands, but doesn't change the mentality here. Sanded will get down into 1/8" joints if it's packed properly. If his technique involves whipping over the surface like a quick squeegee pass, then it most certainly isn't being packed down into the joints.
If sanded was appropriate for the tile (meaning that it's not a polished stone that could be scratched by the sanded grout...or any stone tile that could ever be potentially re-polished/ground in the future), I would always use sanded. What type of tile is this? Natural stone or man-made?

Help an awesome summer camp!
Tool Guy - Kg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-21-2012, 01:40 PM   #3
jadnashua
Veteran DIYer- Schluterville Graduate

STAR Senior Contributor

The look is different, unsanded is (often only ) slightly smoother. Sanded is stronger and, as already mentioned, doesn't shrink. Normally, as long as the grout lines are really no more than 1/8", unsanded won't shrink enough to show a crack. If mixed properly, and good technique is used, either should work while unsanded MIGHT be a little easier to install - it's not supposed to be soup, regardless, it must be packed in there, but it's easier with unsanded. It's easier to get pinholes with unsanded when packing the grout in.
Not a pro, multiple Schluter Workshops (Schluterville and 2013 and 2014 at Schluter Headquarters), Mapei Training 2014, Laticrete Workshop 2014, Custom Building Products Workshop 2015, and Longtime Forum Participant.
jadnashua is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-21-2012, 06:57 PM   #4
cwilde72

Avoid the confusion and use Laticrete's Permacolor!
cwilde72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-22-2012, 09:56 AM   #5
reefone
tile setter

could go either way but i always like to use sanded.
Unread 11-22-2012, 09:59 AM   #6
JoeBoxer
Slow Poke

I prefer Laticrete spectraLock epoxy with sand.
JoeBoxer is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase