Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 11-01-2012, 10:27 AM   #1
kamikos

Gap between wall tile and door trim

I installed a new door in my bathroom that has newer tile. Apparently my measurements were off by 3/8", so now there's a 3/8" gap between the door trim and the tile (which only goes about half-way up and has a chair rail). If I try moving the trim over to fill the gap, the inside edge of the trim is right at the outside edge of the door jamb, so it looks looks odd. The other side is right up against an un-plumb wall and can't be moved out at the bottom although it has a similar gap toward the top of the tile. It looks right on the jamb, however. What would be the best method to clean this up? I'm attaching a picture for reference.
Attached Images

Unread 11-01-2012, 10:35 AM   #2
bbcamp

You can re-do the casing and install it with a sightly larger reveal (that bit to the left of your picture. You can make that reveal wider, say 1/4", to reduce the gap you need to fill by that amount. That leaves 1/4", which you could fill with caulk. If you hit the wall on the other side, trim the casing accordingly.
bbcamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-01-2012, 10:39 AM   #3
voodiloquist

Howdy,

I would buy some trim that meets or exceeds the width you are trying to fill. Then rip it with a table saw to fit exactly. On the other side you said it abuts a corner? Then rip it on however you need to to fill gap. A little caulk and paint, you'll never notice.

Patrick
Unread 11-01-2012, 06:47 PM   #4
Tool Guy - Kg
Moderator -- Wisconsin Kitchen & Bath Remodeler

Hi Brandon,

I'd favor running to the lumberyard for some larger casing molding myself. What you have is likely to be 2 1/4" in width. With the 3/8" gap to fill, you would ideally use 2 5/8" casing. That's not common, but I'd shop around and find the closest thing to that width. If it's a wee bit smaller, make the inside reveal larger like Bob suggested. If it's a wee bit bigger, rip a little bit off like Patrick suggested.

Help an awesome summer camp!
Tool Guy - Kg is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase