Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Cleaning, Restoration and Sealing

Sponsors

Unread 06-16-2020, 07:23 PM   #1
NJDSG

Two Grout Cleaning Challenges

I have two grout "challenges" that I could use some help figuring out how to clean. First photo shows the orangish-brown deposits on the some of the grout in the shower that I've been working on. It does come off, but only with a combination of tub and tile cleaner and fairly aggressive scrubbing with a brush. I've always assumed it's soap scum, but now I'm wondering if it's a mineral deposit (iron?). Is there anything that would expedite the cleaning process?

The second photos shows what I imagine is mold. No amount of tub and tile cleaner and brush scrubbing removes it. I haven't used any kind of bleach. Any options besides removing the grout entirely and replacing?

FWIW This is marble tile.

Thanks.
Attached Images

Unread 06-20-2020, 11:57 AM   #2
Tool Guy - Kg
Moderator -- Wisconsin Kitchen & Bath Remodeler

Let's start with the shower walls.

You're assuming it's soap scum. Tell us why you think that. Is the deposit waxy, like soap? Or could this simply be surface staining to the grout via some colored shampoo or other goo that's used in the shower?

Also, it's good to ask the next couple of questions to investigate if some inappropriate material behind the tile is actually the root cause of this. Do you have any knowledge of how this was built? Like, what methods of plastic sheeting/cement board/surface waterproofers/etc where used?

Help an awesome summer camp!
Tool Guy - Kg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-20-2020, 08:32 PM   #3
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

There is an orange mold that feeds on soap that you'll sometimes find in showers.

www.davystephenstile.com
Davy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-12-2020, 08:48 PM   #4
JF55

And how do you remove that orange mold?
Unread 09-15-2020, 04:33 PM   #5
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

I've never tried this concoction, found it online. Bleach and vinegar will likely etch stone so it's best to test a scrap piece if you have any.

Prepare for pink mold cleanup by donning protective gear: gloves, breathing mask, and goggles. Never allow your skin to come into direct contact with mold or bacteria.

Scrub all areas affected by pink mold, using a loose paste of baking soda and dish detergent (in a 4:1 ratio).

Rinse well.

Spray with a half-and-half solution of water mixed with either bleach or vinegar. (Never use bleach and vinegar together; the combination creates toxic fumes.)

Allow to soak for 10 minutes.

Scrub and rinse once more.

www.davystephenstile.com
Davy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-26-2020, 07:42 PM   #6
JF55

Okay , I will give it a try. The mold is on grout on sealed tumbled marble. Have been reluctant to try either the vinegar or bleach, but will try test area before proceeding. Thanks.

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase