Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > The Mud Box

Sponsors

Unread 08-15-2020, 10:24 AM   #76
cx
Moderator emeritus

I'm more interested in this new fangled 'lectric beemer, Jim. Curious to see how that works out, 'speically pulling the RV trailer you're planning to get.

You know if you've got Elon Musk's batteries in that car?

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-15-2020, 02:01 PM   #77
jadnashua
Veteran DIYer- Schluterville Graduate

STAR Senior Contributor

The transmission used in BMW and a few other brands was designed from the beginning to enable an electric motor to be appended to the end of it...so, the all-wheel drive function always works whether in EV or hybrid mode. The electric motor is a bit over 100Hp, and the gasoline engine is detuned some to 'only' about 284Hp , with the combined total just under 400...you can force it to stay in EV mode, or a few hybrid ones, or if set into sport, always have the engine running. Because all of the drive is in-line, when start-stopping, it is nearly imperceptible.

It has four-wheel air suspension, a 551# tongue weight max, and 6200# max towing weight. With the options I bought, it has something like 6 cameras, can show what appears to be a surround view from above, 4-5 radar devices to detect things on each corner and in front, will essentially drive itself down the road. It has a camera that looks at you and decides if you're paying attention and will start to alert you if you get distracted. In an emergency, if you pull on the emergency brake, it can drive itself to the side of the road and stop! It should go somewhere in the low 40-miles in EV mode, can recharge the batteries if say you wanted to be able to drive in the center of town solely on battery (required in some European cities or it's a huge fee, if possible otherwise), and does switch the electric motor into a generator to recover some power when you slow down or stop. This model has been on-sale overseas (although made in SC in the USA) since the 2018 MY, but is just now being sold in the USA as a MY 2021, so it's not new tech. It's actually I think, their 5th generation hybrid drivetrain.

It should pull a trailer easily with all of the torque at zero RPM. I'm toying about buying a travel trailer and wandering around. I'd hoped to do that in my airplane, but that got squashed. Easier to get insurance on a ground based vehicle, too! Hope to get it in about a month, unless something else impacts the parts availability.
Not a pro, multiple Schluter Workshops (Schluterville and 2013 and 2014 at Schluter Headquarters), Mapei Training 2014, Laticrete Workshop 2014, Custom Building Products Workshop 2015, and Longtime Forum Participant.
jadnashua is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-16-2020, 08:22 AM   #78
ss3964spd

Send a message via Yahoo to ss3964spd
That's going to be a nice ride, Jim, the technology they're building into vehicles these days is just amazing. It's going to take hours to configure all the different modes to your liking and assign them to your FOB. Good thing you like to tinker!

While only all the torque of the electric motor will be available at 0 RPM, the turbo gas engine makes peak torque at an impressively low RPM. And with a short 1st gear in the transmission that thing won't have any problem yanking along 5000 pounds, even without the assist of the e motor.
ss3964spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-16-2020, 06:03 PM   #79
John Bridge
Mudmeister

Send a message via AIM to John Bridge
Hi Jim,

I'm interested in the type of trailer you're planning on.
John Bridge is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-17-2020, 12:19 PM   #80
jadnashua

STAR Senior Contributor

Once I've got the new vehicle, and see what my finances are like (if I can sell the gyroplane engine and electronics for a reasonable price, that should cover most any trailer I might be interested in!), I'm toying with the 20' Airstream Basecamp, but that's not a certainty. https://www.airstream.com/travel-trailers/basecamp/ Good resale value, but expensive. I'll look at some others.

The large rear door would make loading my recumbent trike inside easy, and maybe a kayak. The doors on most are just not located properly for those sorts of things to be carried inside the trailer.
Not a pro, multiple Schluter Workshops (Schluterville and 2013 and 2014 at Schluter Headquarters), Mapei Training 2014, Laticrete Workshop 2014, Custom Building Products Workshop 2015, and Longtime Forum Participant.
Unread 08-18-2020, 05:52 AM   #81
Kman

Try to keep this one on the "runway", Jim. You never know how many lives you've got left.

The top ten reasons to procrastinate:

Kman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-18-2020, 12:32 PM   #82
jadnashua

STAR Senior Contributor

As they say...try to keep the shiny side up!

In checking the on-line status for the new X5...it has just got a VIN assigned...I'm trying to find out how that relates to actual start of production...last I got, that was scheduled for about 10-days. So, it might be getting done sooner...nobody wants to wait, me included, so that might be good news...I'm not celebrating yet, though!

Last edited by jadnashua; 08-18-2020 at 12:50 PM.
Unread 08-18-2020, 02:09 PM   #83
John Bridge
Mudmeister

You should be able to pull that one fine. Don't know about after you get all your other vehicles inside it.
Unread 08-28-2020, 07:58 PM   #84
jadnashua

STAR Senior Contributor

The X5 vehicle's body was painted today, so should be shipped from SC to NH sometime early next week. Once it actually starts to get parts installed on the chassis, it's generally done the same day (they are telling my Monday unless something comes up)...so This one should be safer - doesn't go as fast, and lots of air bags should help in case a similar incident occurs. It also has some self-driving capabilities, so should keep itself in lane and from hitting someone or something else (not 100% reliable, but better than an airplane!).
Unread 08-31-2020, 06:58 PM   #85
John Bridge
Mudmeister

I hope you continue shopping for travel trailers. I'm on number 5, and I've never been solo, but I've always been a little fearful of trailers with a single axel. Don't know what happen when you get a flat, and I've had a few.
Unread 08-31-2020, 10:01 PM   #86
jadnashua

STAR Senior Contributor

I've not looked into whether run-flat tires are available for a trailer or not...might be something to look into. I do know that they make add-on tire pressure sensors that would probably have enough range to get to the receiver in the vehicle that should give you at least a little warning of a leak, but maybe not a major blowout. BMW has built-in computer logic when it detects you're pulling a trailer to handle (hopefully I'll never find out or how well it does) trailer sway. Some of those TPMS are as easy to install as taking the valve cover off and screwing on the sensor and pairing it to the receiver once you've verified the pressure is where you want it. I think those that go inside are probably a bit better, but that means dismounting the tire and rebalancing things...harder to steal though!

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase