Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 09-15-2017, 07:42 PM   #1
Shagy99

HELP I think my contractor just ruined my shower

So I have been lurking here for almost a year. Youall have helped me rebuild my shower. Near the finish line I hired out the tile setting as I did not believe I would do a good professional job. I could not be here and discovered when i got home that the cobtractor has used screws to hold up rows of tile.....screws thru my waterproofing membrane and into my concrete board......im furious. I have spents months and countless hours on this project and I cannot believe he just put hiles in my waterproofing.......is this standard!? This guy has lots of experience and did my floor pan and it turned out great......how do you set these tiles without screws. Do i fire this guy?.....i'm going to be sick. Can i fix this?
Attached Images

Unread 09-15-2017, 08:07 PM   #2
Shagy99

He will be back in the morning. It seems wrong, is this correct?
Unread 09-15-2017, 08:17 PM   #3
cx
Moderator emeritus

Welcome, Sean.

If he actually drove the screws into the wallboard, trough your waterproofing membrane, he's clearly not a real tile guy.

Perhaps he only set the screws between the tiles for spacers and did not actually drive them into the wallboard? Have you tried to pull one out?

I see he used some cross spacers in other places and some glaziers blocks. Perhaps he just ran out of things the correct size?

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-15-2017, 08:57 PM   #4
jadnashua
Veteran DIYer- Schluterville Graduate

STAR Senior Contributor

FWIW, it's MUCH easier to clean the tile before the thinset or grout cures...things don't look all that clean. It's hard to say for sure how well the tiles are set in plane (i.e., no lippage), but from the picture, I can't tell, nor can I say how even the grout joints are.

FWIW, what did you use for your waterproofing layer?
Not a pro, multiple Schluter Workshops (Schluterville and 2013 and 2014 at Schluter Headquarters), Mapei Training 2014, Laticrete Workshop 2014, Custom Building Products Workshop 2015, and Longtime Forum Participant.
jadnashua is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-15-2017, 09:45 PM   #5
Shagy99

Aqua defense. Yes screws are driven. I have settled down now. Still unhappy but more rational. Can I fix this without pulling down tiles? There is plenty of lippage everythere, but my walls are not perfect either,....but still
Unread 09-15-2017, 09:49 PM   #6
Kman

This one right here makes me think that he punctured the waterproofing, at least in this one spot. It's not resting on the tile below, and appears to be pushed in further than the others.

Hopefully the tile piece on top of the curb isn't set, but just lying in place, since it's oriented incorrectly.

Name:  sean.jpg
Views: 363
Size:  76.9 KB

The top ten reasons to procrastinate:

Kman is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-15-2017, 10:22 PM   #7
cx
Moderator emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean
There is plenty of lippage everythere, but my walls are not perfect either,....but still
If he elected to set your tiles on the walls you presented without telling you there was a problem with the walls, they became his walls, not yours. Once he started setting the tiles he accepted the substrate and became responsible for its suitability and the same with the tiles. If he were actually a tile professional he'd know that, but I think we've already established that he is not.

Good eye, Kevin.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-15-2017, 10:39 PM   #8
smifwal

Kman I was going to up load the Same pic but as CX he used a hodgepodge of spacers maybe he ran out of large screws.this guy is a mess. The drill in the other picture almost confirms that he did in fact drive them in.
Unread 09-16-2017, 05:15 AM   #9
jaslan

Ouch...as a tile guy myself I would never do that.
I would use a clipping system to hold the tiles ...

Jason
Unread 09-16-2017, 05:54 AM   #10
Shagy99

Well, he is coming back in a few hours and has already been paid. I will ask that no more screws be used and I will try to fix. Would shooting the holes full of aquadefense from a syringe work? I think I could have done this level of quality on my own I think......but I wanted better than DIY, thats why I hired it out......I fought that PVC liner around those corners so hard to get those corners done right. That screw you circled makes me ill. I am disapointed too, he did such a good job on the floor pan its perfect slope and after I tiled it really looks fantastic. That little peice of tile is oriented with the simulated wood grain the wrong direction, it has to come out.
Unread 09-16-2017, 06:38 AM   #11
condo-owner
just-some-guy

the pic with the drill. the lipage looks pretty bad.

the tile looks nice. hope you post pics when its done.
Unread 09-16-2017, 06:52 AM   #12
Kman

How wide are the grout joints?

The top ten reasons to procrastinate:

Kman is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-16-2017, 07:20 AM   #13
Shagy99

Was supposed to be 3/16 per our conversation before he started, but he was also supposed to leave a lip at the end for my wood cap build out that didnt happen so not ill have a ugly corner there Ill have to try to fix. I'm grouting, not him. That was negotiated ahead already. If i pull some of these tiles off to fix them will it destroy my coating? What kind of tool would be best for getting this mud off the wall for minimal damage to the durock?
Unread 09-16-2017, 09:11 AM   #14
Tiger Mountain Tile Inc
Registered Muser

I don't know why he would use screws and I don't know how you get them out without chipping the tiles. Maybe the tiles were inconsistently sized and that was the way he chose to level them up?

I think this is a case of poor attitude/not caring. I don't know if he usually uses screws or just reasoned that he wasn't on the hook for a leak since he didn't prep the shower.

Why you should NOT buy a newly remodeled home ~DIYTileGuy
Tiger Mountain Tile Inc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-16-2017, 10:10 AM   #15
Shady at Best
Tyrone shoelaces

Maybe that bottom tile isn't set yet. Just a temporary tile to support the others.
The screws will most likely come out without chipping the tiles.
Fill the screw holes with kerdi fix. They will be fine.
I have seen people use screws instead of spacers. I don't get it.

I am neither clever nor funny

It's just a clever handle.
Shady at Best is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase