Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Unread 05-29-2001, 08:29 PM   #1
Registered User
Join Date: May 2001
Posts: 1

I want to replace several tiles that have come loose from around the sink of my 50 year old original tile counter.
I do not want to strip the old mortar bed and start from scratch, but just replace the tiles if possible. They still have mortar and old grout attached that keeps them from being placed back in position easily. How can I remove this old material from the tiles?
Also several bullnose and quarter round tiles have broken. Is there a glue to repair them, as I will probably never find that color replacement.
Thanks and Cheers,
richard101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 05-29-2001, 09:41 PM   #2
Bud Cline
Tile Contractor -- Central Nebraska
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Central Nebraska
Posts: 7,567

How about a little coarse sandpaper and gently remove the old mortar. Hopefully that will be enough alteration to allow you to reinstall the tiles with an organic tile adhesive. You can buy the adhesive a your local Big Box.

I'm not sure what you want to do with the broken tiles but I would think you could reinstall them with the same adhesive. After allowing time to set up regrout. Your done!
Bud Cline is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-30-2001, 04:00 PM   #3
John Bridge
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Rosanky, Texas
Posts: 68,252
Send a message via AIM to John Bridge
Hi Richard, Bud,

I think you may be considering somehow gluing the broken pieces to gether before you install them. But that would not be the way to do it. I would get some of the mortar off them as Bud said and then set the broken pieces. You can grout everything and use a colored maker or a little enamel paint to disguise the crack.

If you want the broken pieces restored, there are specialty ceramic shops that can do it. Check with a full-line tile supply store.
John Bridge is online now   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:42 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2018 John Bridge & Associates, LLC