Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 01-30-2006, 02:37 PM   #1
scottv

Laticrete SpectraLOCK epoxy grout question

I'm installing a granite kitchen counter top and want to use an epoxy grout. I've heard that Laticrete SpectraLOCK is a new, easy to use product. Ease of application is important to me and I prefer not to use one of the traditional epoxy grouts that require mixing 3 parts and are hard to work with.

Question: If I use the Laticrete SpectraLOCK product do I first have to apply a grout release product to avoid staining my new granite tile?

Thanks!

Scott
scottv is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 01-30-2006, 06:30 PM   #2
Schluterman
Western NY Tile Contractor

Scott, a grout release wont be needed because spectralock does not contain cement. Spectra lock is a 3 part system also, but it is easy to use, see if you can get ahold of the pro version, its the latest and the greatest.

John.
Schluterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-19-2006, 09:53 PM   #3
scottv

Thumbs down laticrete is deceptive in their coverage estimate!!!

I just finished grouting a kitchen counter using Laticrete spectra-lock epoxy grout. The coverage table on the carton said 1 kit would cover 96 sq feet of 12" tile and 1/16" grout lines. What a joke! It took close to 2 full kits to do an area of approximately 60 sq feet!! Also, the grout sets up much quicker than advertised....at 70 degrees it's supposed to be workable for 80 minutes. Well, it was 64 degrees in the kitchen and after 30 minutes the grout became quite dry and it took great effort to apply.

I've heard similar complaints about the product...add me to the list of deceived consumers. The completed project looks great and I have no issue other than the deceptive advertising.

Scott
scottv is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-19-2006, 10:37 PM   #4
skydivr

You're right about the coverage. I've never come close to what they claim, but all things considered, it's still a pretty good product.

Dave
skydivr is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase