Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 01-15-2006, 10:34 AM   #1
DIYChris

Versabond Cure Question With Kerdi

I have installed some of my Kerdi with a bag of Versabond that gotten some moisture in it ..... will this cause a problem? with the cure & bond????

Yesterday I installed the Kerdi band & corners around the bottom of the shower. Due to my time constaints I have not been able to do the shower in one go. Last weekend I put in the floor & drain with a new bag of versabond & yesterday I started the bottom Kerdi band & corners with the same bag. After finishing up last week I left the bag outside on the patio for most of the weekaccident. Today I had planned to finish with the walls. Well it appears that the bag got some moister in it over the week from being outside. Yesterday there was some lumps on the top of the bag which I removed before mixing & did not think it would be a problem. Today I had a look at the left over portion of the thinset which I left out side to cure after finishing up & it is a chaulky consistancy.

From reading some posts on this site it appears that I have messed up!!!! What is my best way forword?????

Thanks,
Chris
DIYChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 01-15-2006, 10:50 AM   #2
DIYChris

A bit more info, Looking at the dried thinset in the shower it is hard & not chaulky like the left over thinset that I let dry outside last night in the back yard. It seems to be good and hard, but it is a very thin layer of the thinset.

How long does it take for the versa bond to cure completely? If I take a damp sponge this morning & really scrub on a place were I had a bit of excess thinset it with bit of effort it will be come a thick paste & wipe away with the sponge.

Any comments from the Pro's will be very helpful.

Chris
Unread 01-15-2006, 10:58 AM   #3
chukar8

With kerdi you should have used an unmodified thinset, like preimum plus--- I wouldnt use the stuff left outside. Post some pictures of the questionable thinset, and all the guys can chime in hehe!
Unread 01-15-2006, 11:25 AM   #4
jgleason
Retired Moderator - Theatre Guy (and computers)

I wouldn't use the stuff you left outside either. Using Versabond to install the Kerdi or Tile to Kerdi is ok although it isn't approved by Schluter so you won't be able to make a claim on their warranty.

I'm nore concerned about this...
Quote:
Originally Posted by DIYChris
Last weekend I put in the floor & drain with a new bag of versabond
Chris, can you explain? The way I read it you installed the KerdiDrain with Versabond. I sure hope you didn't do that. The Kerd Drain should be installed with deck mud (basically 5:1 sand/cement mix, see the Liberry for the recipe).
jgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-15-2006, 11:38 AM   #5
DIYChris

No I mis-spoke, The drain was set in 5:1 deck mud when the pre-slope was done. Sorry for any confusion.

After the versabond has set for 24hours should you be able to still clean it up with a damp sponge? I am concerned about the cure & wondering what I should do ... continue or removed the kerdi band & start over?
Unread 01-15-2006, 11:42 AM   #6
chukar8

Yea, you can still clean up---how easy depends on what youre cleaning the thinset off of.
Unread 01-15-2006, 11:54 AM   #7
jgleason
Retired Moderator - Theatre Guy (and computers)

I think you're alright. Thiset that has only had a day to cure can be cleaned up with a bit of effort and a damp sponge. How much effort depends on what kind of surface it is adhered too.

To recap - Leave what you've done alone. Throw out the thinset that was left open outside. Get some fresh thinset and continue on.
jgleason is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase