Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 01-31-2021, 12:37 PM   #1
Krooz

A Few Questions about Kerdi and Allset

Been lurking here for a while, love the site. I'm redoing our bathroom and have installed a Kohler 30x60 acrylic shower base. Butted the Kerdi board to the flange on the base rather than overlapping it so I didn't have to shim out the studs as the walls will tie into drywall at the end of 2 of the tiled walls. I put self stick flashing on the base flange to the bare studs. Here's my questions...

1) I see where some say to use unmodified thinset for the Kerdi band but was told I can use Allset (modified) for everything. Tiles are 12 x 24. so - Allset OK?

2) To fill in from the shower base to the Kerdi board I was planning to use the Allset - will that adhere to the flashing? (Looks like what I assume is like an aluminum foil on the flashing.)

3) I ended up with an area on one wall that bows in about 3/16" tops over maybe 1.5 to 2 sq ft or so - I assume I can just go a little heavier with the Allset in that area when I tile or can I build it up to flush with a trowel when I'm setting the Kerdi band?

4) Where the Kerdi board meets the drywall there's a height mismatch of 1/8"in some areas, probably less - just tape it out with Kerdi band and thinset feathered out just like drywall mud followed up with drywall mud to get things smoothed out onto the untiled surface?

Planning to use the Rubi tile levelers and 3/16" grout lines. Hopefully I explained my questions well enough - thanks for any advice!
Unread 01-31-2021, 12:55 PM   #2
cx
Moderator emeritus

Welcome, Bill.

You will not find the "self stick flashing" method listed anywhere in the tile industry literature, but it should work. See my warranty information below.

1. The All-Set will work and will provide the Schluter product warranty, which you do not need. Any failure you have will be an installer error. There are many other modified thinset mortars that will also work fine in that application, but without the warranty.

2. Probably not, but with the size tile you're using it won't really matter that the bonding mortar doesn't adhere to that narrow strip of foil.

3. Thinset mortar is not to be used to level or true the work of others according to the tile industry and the mortar manufacturer. You can do it if you want.

4. That junction should be made well outside the wet area of your shower where it could be finished with drywall mud. You can finish it with thinset mortar and KerdiBand as you suggest, but I'd want that waterproofing to extend well beyond the wet area, too.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-31-2021, 01:56 PM   #3
Krooz

Thanks CX, so regarding 3) it may be better to just go a little heavier with the thinset when I install the tiles in the area of question?

As to 4) it is outside of where the shower curtain will be so I should be good there...

Appreciate the quick response!
Unread 01-31-2021, 02:06 PM   #4
cx
Moderator emeritus

3. I think it's never a good idea to try to flatten the tile installation by building up the bonding mortar behind the tile, but if you think you can do that it's fine with me. I usually find it doesn't work well at all.

You should flatten the substrate before setting the tile. My point was that thinset mortar is not the correct material for the purpose, but it's frequently used. There are many cementitious patching materials out there that would be better suited to the application.

4. "That junction should be made well outside the wet area..." Just for emphasis.

Unread 02-01-2021, 05:43 AM   #5
Krooz

Thanks CX, I'll get it flush before tiling.
Unread 02-01-2021, 01:02 PM   #6
Krooz

Well, the folks at Lowe's sold me a bag of Mapei Planipatch to level out the slight dip in the Kerdi. After I got home I started reading up on it and I'm not sure if it's the ticket. I was going to use my 4" foot level as a float as it fully spans the area in question. Sounds like it has a really fast set up time and I don't see it mentioned for use on walls any where. Will it work or is there a better product to float out the dip?

Thanks
Unread 02-01-2021, 04:00 PM   #7
Kman

Never used Planipatch for a wall, or heard of it being used for that. I can't say for sure it would work or not, but the technical data sheet seems to suggest it's for floors.

HD has Henry's patch that I've used for what you have. But pretty much all of them dry pretty fast. You have maybe 15 minutes to work and it's done.

The top ten reasons to procrastinate:

Kman is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-01-2021, 04:32 PM   #8
smifwal

is this what you bought?

https://www.mapei.com/in/en/products...ail/planipatch
Unread 02-01-2021, 05:01 PM   #9
Krooz

It's Planipatch but it's in a red bag... that link looks like it might be a better product but I don't see it anywhere. The Henry product would be the 345 I take it?

Last edited by Krooz; 02-01-2021 at 05:11 PM.
Krooz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-02-2021, 08:30 AM   #10
Krooz

Well, bag it. Determined the dip in the Kerdi is actually due to the very bottom of the board in that area being flared out a tad. Going to remove a section of Kerdi and get things right on the studs. Couldn't find anything to skim on top of the Kerdi that I was comfortable with using. I'll just have an extra 4' joint to band - no biggie.

Thanks for the advice!
Unread 02-02-2021, 09:23 AM   #11
Jason@mapei
Jason Cantin Mapei Technical rep

Planipatch is not designed for walls, it also isn't designed for high moisture environments, I would suggest you reach out to Schluter, and see what they recommend over their product
Unread 02-02-2021, 12:10 PM   #12
Krooz

Thanks Jason. I cut out a section of the Kerdi and did a little shimming of a couple of studs. Got the Kerdi back on with less than a 1/16" dip across a < 2' diameter section. Won't be putting anything on to fill it out as I figure with 12 X 24 tiles and a 1/2 x 1/2 trowel that little dip won't be a big deal.
Unread 03-01-2021, 10:17 AM   #13
Krooz

Shower Base has Low Spot, how to Handle Wall tile?

Getting ready to install 12x14 wall tile in the shower. Despite what I thought was a pretty darn good install I see when I throw the laser level on the wall that the right hand corner is a little low. The flange is just under a 1/4" low (see attached pic).

Not sure how to handle this. Do I use a ledger board? Wasn't planning to use one as I was going to do the whole wall at once. Can I shave the little bit off of the bottom of the other tiles with the wet saw before I start?

Appreciate any advice!

Thanks

Krooz
Attached Images

Unread 03-01-2021, 10:23 AM   #14
cx
Moderator emeritus

Krooz, it'll help if you'll keep all your project questions on one thread so folks can see what you're working on and what's been previously asked and answered. A moderator can give it a more generic title any time you'd like to suggest one.

You an cut the bottoms of the first row of tiles to fit your out of level condition if you're not prepared to level up the receptor.

Unread 03-01-2021, 10:34 AM   #15
Krooz

Thanks CX, sorry about that. Guess I'll number the bottom tiles in the lay out and scribe/trim the bottom edges before starting.

On another subject - should I back butter with a flat or toothed trowel?

Krooz

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase