Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 02-18-2021, 12:58 PM   #1
richdomb

Question on strataheat mat

Doing a master bath bath floor. Looking at strata heat mat with next level plus to cover wires. Laricrete shows using the mat over osb subfloor. I wouldn’t mind doing that because of height issues if I could convince myself it was safe. So
Has anybody done this and had success or have any problems or concerns?
Unread 02-18-2021, 01:44 PM   #2
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

Hi Richard. The first thing I would do is check your framing numbers to make sure it's up to snuff. Click on "Deflecto" in the dark blue bar above.

www.davystephenstile.com
Davy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-18-2021, 05:14 PM   #3
richdomb

No problem with that it’s probably slightly over built.
Unread 02-18-2021, 05:58 PM   #4
ss3964spd

Send a message via Yahoo to ss3964spd
How thick is the OSB, Richard?

If the joist structure is sound, and joist spacing is appropriate, and the OSB is thick enough, and Laticrete endorses installing their product over OSB - assuming a thinset mortar meeting their specifications (118.4?) is used, seems like a pretty safe bet to me.
ss3964spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-18-2021, 05:59 PM   #5
cx
Moderator emeritus

Welcome back, Richard.

This the same bathroom you were planning back in 2014?

Subfloor structure is not really a good place for "probably" assumptions. I'd recommend you evaluate yours as Davy suggests.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-19-2021, 01:55 PM   #6
Tiger Mountain Tile Inc
Registered Muser

You need to make sure your joist spacing meets their requirements but I go over 3/4 inch OSB subfloor all of the time.
Tiger Mountain Tile Inc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-19-2021, 09:03 PM   #7
richdomb

CX. No this is another project. That was over cdx with heat mats before strata heat was out. This is over avantech. It was in the strata mat instructions as ok on osb however laticretes arch drawing showed only plywood. The tcna methods don’t show anything glued over osb that I’m aware of. That said I was looking for others that have done this and there seems to be some. I wonder if tcna may add some methods that reflect this someday.
By the way your defecto shows L/857
Unread 02-19-2021, 10:13 PM   #8
cx
Moderator emeritus

Nothing at all wrong with using OSB as a subfloor, Richard, 'specially ones designed specifically for the purpose, such as your Advantech. The problem comes in bonding to them with thinset mortar - or anything else in my opinion. Just not the same as bonding to a plywood surface and some of the specialty OSBs, again like your Advantech, there is a coating on at least one side designed to be water repellent for weather proofing temporarily during construction. Just not a good bonding surface and some mortar manufacturers have had notes in some of their instructions saying not to use their mortar for that.

For the most part the TCNA published methods will conform to products listed in the ANSI standards and I'm not sure OSB is listed in there in regards to tile installation. I know for sure that the required thinset mortar for bonding to wood framed subfloors (ANSI A118.11) specifies testing with specific pywood types and not with OSB.

You wanna bond to OSB with thinset mortar and the thinset mortar manufacturer says it's OK to do so, it's fine with me and it's done by lots and lots of tile contractors. That's:

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase