Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > The Mud Box

Sponsors

Unread 02-15-2021, 07:06 PM   #1
makethatkerdistick

Surety bond information

This question is specific for those of you living and working in the state of Texas, but feel free to chime in if you have other pertinent information.

I am arguing with a roofing contractor over the construction of my new roof. Something went wrong, let's keep it at that. I want to obtain the contractor's surety bond information to see if I should file a claim with them. When I signed the bid at the time, I didn't ask for it. Now that I need it, I don't have it, and the roofer won't communicate with me.
I've been trying to find out whether there is a requirement in Texas for a contractor to provide said bond information upon a customer's request. I guess I could call the AG's office to find out, but wonder if some of you good folks have some insight. Roofers in Texas aren't required to register with the state, and so mine doesn't seem to have this voluntary registration.

Thanks so much! I hope that my fellow Texans tonight have (enough) electricity and aren't freezing. It's pretty bad where I live.
Unread 02-26-2021, 04:38 PM   #2
makethatkerdistick

Found the information in the meantime. It's actually public record. I didn't know that. I called up a random bonding agency in Texas, and they were very helpful in looking it up for me.
Unread 02-26-2021, 04:41 PM   #3
cx
Moderator emeritus

Thanks, Wolfgang. I've never had reason to look that up in all the years I worked in Texas and didn't know the answer.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-01-2021, 03:44 PM   #4
John Bridge
Mudmeister

Send a message via AIM to John Bridge
I contracted for 32 years in the Houston/Harris County area and never had a surety bond.
John Bridge is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-01-2021, 06:51 PM   #5
Maniac979

I've been out of the contracting world for a couple of decades. When I left, there was no requirement for building contractors or subcontractors to have a surety bond in Texas. If you wanted a bond from a sub, you had to request it and it was applicable to that project only.

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase