Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 02-19-2021, 02:39 PM   #1
cbohaker

Grout question

Hello, I have a question about the grout line at the top of a shower bench where the sides meet the top. Should this be caulked or grouted? Again this is the grout line that connects the top tiles to the side tiles. Thanks again for your help!
Unread 02-19-2021, 02:58 PM   #2
Lazarus
Texas Tile Contractor

Should be caulked with silicone. It is a "Change of plane..."

“I came, I saw, she conquered."
The original Latin seems to have been garbled.”
Lazarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-19-2021, 03:08 PM   #3
cbohaker

Thank goodness.. I didn't want to have to buy another bag of sanded grout to use a little bit. I have the MAPEI caulk so Ill fill it in nicely along with all corners of the shower.

I know this is a 50/50 topic but sealing the grout I am thinking about skipping so moisture can evaporate and wont be trapped. Thoughts? I feel like if I clean the shower once a week and keep my fan on a 10 min switch after each shower any moisture should mostly be removed from the environment. Maybe even crack the window to draw in fresh air during showers? Also, is there a shelf life for grout? Thanks for the input Lazarus.

-Chris
Unread 02-20-2021, 08:48 AM   #4
ss3964spd

Send a message via Yahoo to ss3964spd
Chris, sealing the grout won't prevent it from absorbing water, though it may take it a bit longer to do so. Sealers aren't permanent, either, would have to be reapplied regularly.

Letting the fan run helps, but it takes a lot longer than 10-15 minutes for water to evaporate off all the surfaces. Cracking a window might help if the bathroom door is closed, probably not all that helpful if the door is open. If the shower has a door, or even a curtain, leaving it open will help.

Using a squeegee, and even a hand towel for the corners, will likely be your best defense, and will probably stretch cleaning intervals out quite a bit. I squeegee mine after each use, including the floor, takes me about 4 minutes. In the almost 1.5 years since put into service I've had to clean the floor only 3 times, never the walls, except for the niche. The shower has no door and I let the fan run for 60 minutes (probably over-kill).

Squeegeeing is zero fun, natch, but the upside is the shower is pretty much always clean, and it honestly looks like it was just installed.
ss3964spd is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase