Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 08-22-2020, 01:58 PM   #31
Gsutt09

The drain is 2” PVC.
Unread 08-22-2020, 02:26 PM   #32
cx
Moderator emeritus

Gotta stop leading us astray like that, Greg.

If that hole is in the vertical center of the joist it is probably OK by the look of it. The maximum size hole permitted would be 3" but that hole must be a minimum of 2" from either edge of the joist and that doesn't appear to be the case judging from the photo. Can you verify that?

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-22-2020, 08:11 PM   #33
Gsutt09

That particular hole meets that requirement, but there are two other holes going through two joists, both original and sistered, that are located in the top 2”. I’m not sure it’s possible to run the plumbing without going through two joists. Do I need to resister the joists and then run the drain through the joists with the recommended standards (no more that 1/3 width, within center of the joist)?

On a different note, is there a way to support or donate to this forum? The information here is priceless. Thanks in advance.
Unread 08-22-2020, 10:34 PM   #34
cx
Moderator emeritus

I know it is possible to run a 2" PVC pipe through properly sized holes in two adjacent joists while keeping the proper slope in the pipe and the proper spacing from the top and bottom of the joists, but it requires care and planning.

No, other than paying back in kind, there is no way to contribute to the operation of this site. We once had a program wherein you could contribute money to a tile industry education facility, but the education part of that facility is now gone.

Answer any questions you see here, so long as you are sure the answer is correct or clearly indicate it to be only an opinion, purchase products from the sponsors you see at the sides of the page, and invite your friends to visit here and do the same. That's the only way I know for your to contribute to the operation.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Unread 02-17-2021, 05:30 PM   #35
Gsutt09

Kerdi flood test

It’s been 24hrs since I’ve filled up the kerdi shower pan. The water level has dropped slightly (~1/8”). I see that water has wicked up onto the top of the kerdi curb (see picture). I assume there’s a puncture in the curb. My plan was to let the water level stabilize and then apply kerdi band or kerdi fix to that level. I see no other areas where water has penetrated outside the pan. Is this a solid plan? Thanks in advance.
Attached Images

Unread 02-17-2021, 07:54 PM   #36
MesaTileworks

Sounds ok to me. You can easily do another flood test again after patching. I’d think doing a patch with the fabric itself rather than kerdifix might be the way to go. Check that your balloon is properly inflated as well so you can rule out leaking down the drain.
MesaTileworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-17-2021, 09:52 PM   #37
cx
Moderator emeritus

Greg, I can't even guess what's going on there without at least seeing the other side of the curb.

Unread 02-18-2021, 09:17 AM   #38
ss3964spd

Send a message via Yahoo to ss3964spd
Is this a continuation of your Master Bathroom Remodel tread, Greg, or a fun new project?
ss3964spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-18-2021, 01:57 PM   #39
Tile & Stone Guild
King Of Tile

You either have a hole or banding problem . Cx asked about a pic of the
inside of the curb. What thinker was use and how long did you wait?
Unread 02-18-2021, 04:06 PM   #40
Gsutt09

I found a post that was describing a similar problem. The solution was to apply a line of kerdi fix across the inside of the curb to stop the wicking. I did this last night and the the curb has remained dry today and the water level has remained unchanged. I'm not sure how or why the water wicked up the curb. I would think if there was a hole on the inside face of the curb, this would not be the result.

I used all-set and waited 23 hours before doing a flood test. This is the same bathroom remodel as the master I've been working on.
Unread 02-18-2021, 04:53 PM   #41
cx
Moderator emeritus

Greg, please don't start new threads for questions about the same project. Just results in confusion and duplication of effort on the part of our all-volunteer army of helpers. Thanks.

Unread 03-04-2021, 06:59 PM   #42
Gsutt09

Getting mosaic level with wall tile

My wife has chosen a tile design of half wall tile and half mosaic tile on the shower wall. What is the best way to get the two different thickness of tiles to line up on the wall? Can I lay ditra down behind the mosaics? Thanks!
Unread 03-04-2021, 07:18 PM   #43
BIGPHIL

Greg,
Depending on how much thickness you need to make up, Wedi makes 1/8" building panels that work great for this exact situation.
Unread 03-04-2021, 08:50 PM   #44
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

You could add a row of chair rails or similar type trim between the two.

www.davystephenstile.com
Davy is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase