Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Professionals' Hangout

Sponsors

Unread 03-30-2020, 03:32 PM   #3151
Just In Tile LLC

Christopher I'm in the same boat with mud overtaking any part of tiling as the most enjoyable part....besides getting paid of course
Unread 03-31-2020, 08:29 AM   #3152
smifwal

Chris, I didn't run sticks on this one, I was just going for semi flat/plane. This is a cinder block wall in a basement that moved and was a 1/2" off the top step and 4" off the landing. I was just trying to take the buckle out and get me flush up to the trim up top. I am putting piers in to try to keep it from going anywhere else and I will cut new treads for all the steps and plywood for the landing so the go all the way over to the mud. Hence the optical illusion reference. It really caught the eye when you walked down the steps.

If I was going to put sticks in I think I would do something like this or maybe just the ones on the ends of my screed was long enough.
Attached Images

Unread 03-31-2020, 08:52 AM   #3153
jerrymlr1

Funny thing, I've done a boat load of mudwork but never used the sticks. I make the rails out of mortar and let em set for a day. Done a lot of stairs though. Seeinz you didn't use screed rails of any kind that looks awful good. Them steep steps musta been a pain to work on though.
Unread 06-17-2020, 08:35 AM   #3154
Tiger Mountain Tile Inc
Registered Muser

Just noticed that over in the Liberry none of Jack's video posts are showing. I seem to remember a well-meaning moderator went and embedded all of those but maybe that ended up being counter-productive with the last big update?

https://www.johnbridge.com/vbulletin...d.php?t=115109
Tiger Mountain Tile Inc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-22-2021, 11:18 PM   #3155
jwmezzanotte

Talking

Y’all still here? Hah!

I’m done with social media. It was kinda cute for a while..
Anyway still slinging mud. I like it so much I often do it for free. Somewhere around 60 pails on this one. A friend wanted to put laminate in his basement, but the slab was atrocious.
4-1 concrete sand-portland. Bonded to slab (ground clean) with trilite, floated and then skim coated again with trilite.
Goes anywhere from 0-3” in various places.

The floor is still inches out of level, but its flat and will support the laminate evenly.
We did screeds one day, and I floated it the next. 1 man mixing (paddle mixer) and me floating.
I didn’t measure, probably 500sqft total. $500 in material

This is my idea of a good time
Attached Images

jwmezzanotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-23-2021, 08:04 AM   #3156
smifwal

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerry
Them steep steps musta been a pain to work on though.
it wasn't too bad, when I first looked at and bought this place I thought they steps were terrible, I moved the washer and dryer upstairs because I thought nobody would buy it otherwise. Funny thing is after all the trips up and down, I didn't notice how step they were anymore.

I realized when this thread popped back up that I never uploaded the finished product, sorry no close up from the side I couldn't find any that were close up like the wet mud
Attached Images

Unread 01-23-2021, 10:52 AM   #3157
John Bridge
Mudmeister

Send a message via AIM to John Bridge
Good to see you back, John.

I don't think I've ever used sticks for anything horizontal, always mud screeds. Wood float strips on walls, though.
John Bridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-23-2021, 06:37 PM   #3158
Just In Tile LLC

I've seen upside down cap strip for horizontal floats screeds, they just leave em in too. Floating a floor like that is absolutely a good time! It's the perfect amount of work and results type of stuff. Feels good at the end of the day.

Glad you moved the laundry room upstairs Shawn, those steps look rough for those with snow on the roof.
Unread 01-31-2021, 01:49 AM   #3159
CaliGrown

Maybe this belongs elsewhere...

Forgot to post this up.
My FIL had a line of masons he went through last year toward the end of spring. One old timer didn’t have a full set of digits, lost it mixing mortar with a paddle mixer in a bucket. Good reminder not to run your fingers down the chuck while it’s spinning.
He said he was happy it was the paddle mixer vs. the stucco mixer, lol. Guy had the picture from the day of, said bleeding was minimal as it had happened first thing in the cool morning. Reattachment failed from a post-surgery infection, he was back working too soon he says..
Attached Images

CaliGrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-31-2021, 06:53 AM   #3160
jondon
Hershey Pennsylvania Tile Contractor

Send a message via AIM to jondon
posted by Christopher
Quote:
Good reminder not to run your fingers down the chuck while it’s spinning.
Thanks for the tip

Jon Donmoyer

JD Tile

CTEF Certified Installer #825

Custom Tile Installation in Hershey & surrounding areas

Serving Dauphin, Lebanon, Berks, Chester, & Montgomery Counties PA
jondon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-06-2021, 03:44 PM   #3161
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

I wanted to add a couple pics again, Christopher was asking me about how I do my wall mud when no mud caps are available.

If you notice the wood strip on the right side of this picture, it's nailed with small trim nails over the edge of the sheetrock. The stick is only about 1/8 thick. I shim behind the stick with strips of tar paper till it's straight and plumb if possible. Also, this stick is near a large window so there are several 2x4 studs side by side. With solid wood there, notice I didn't scratch over it. That gives my 2nd coat a little more thickness. The only place I scratch is between the studs, where the wall/lath is flimsy.

This makes my mud about 1/8 past the sheetrock, giving me a grout joint behind the bullnose or Schluter trim.
Attached Images

www.davystephenstile.com
Davy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-06-2021, 03:48 PM   #3162
Davy
Moderator -- Mud Man

But before any of that, I make sure my lath is pushed back between the studs as much as possible. This shows the roofing nails on the sides of the studs which holds it back and tightens it up.
Attached Images

www.davystephenstile.com
Davy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-06-2021, 04:42 PM   #3163
CaliGrown

Thanks again Davy, cleared the the muddy waters up for me. Looking forward to giving the two-coat mud job a go again. Thinking it’ll save some time and headache with Trim out and plumbing aspects
CaliGrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-06-2021, 08:24 PM   #3164
Lou_MA

Maybe it’s somewhere in this thread but any tips on how hard you’re compacting dry pack when flattening floors?

Whaling the heck out of it? Just gently tamping? Can you make a finger indentation when you’re done packing?

When I do shower floors, I’m slapping a mag float or wood float pretty hard...and that’s only 12 - 20 sf. My shoulders can’t see doing that for a couple hundred sf.
Unread 02-06-2021, 09:07 PM   #3165
cx
Moderator emeritus

Slapping "pretty hard" with a wood float is generally all I do for shower floors, Lou. You don't need to beat it into submission, just pack it well enough for shaping. I don't finish beyond a magnesium float, but some folks like to finish with a steel trowel.

Can you make an indentation with your finger? Well, yeah, if you push hard enough, but you don't need to be able to walk on it without leaving footprints when your done shaping it.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase