Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 08-22-2009, 09:19 PM   #1
jfranch

Kitchen Backsplash Project - 1st Tiling Project

I am about to jump into tiling my kitchen backsplash and have a couple questions.

1. I am using some mosaic tile, consisting of 5/16" square stones spaced 1/8", to frame out around the range. I will be using strips that are 3 squares wide to go from the counter up to the hood and across the width of the hood. What is the minimum space that I should allow between the tile and the hood for caulking?

2. Same element as #1. What is the minumum space I should leave between the tile and the counter top? I would have assumed 1/8" to match the grout lines, but I am trying to avoid having partial tiles along the underside of the hood.

3. The field tile that I will be using above the counter top is a 2" x 4" Subway tile without integral spacers. I am planning 1/8" grout lines. Similar question to #2. What is the minimum space I should allow between the tile and the counter top?
Unread 08-22-2009, 10:22 PM   #2
cx
Moderator emeritus

1. Generally about 1/8th-inch (please verify the size of those tiles).

2. Generally about 1/8th-inch.

3. Generaly about 1/8th-inch.

And all those joint's should be filled with a flexible sealant of some sort (caulking).

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-22-2009, 10:24 PM   #3
dbitton
Professional Stoner

I typically try to get as close to the upper cabinets & hood as possible, (keeping in mind that it will be caulked so don't obsess)..1/8" gap at the bottom of the upper cabinets is perfectly fine, also fine if it's tight, also fine if it's 3/16.. anything that caulk will cover is good.

At the backsplash, same deal... usually with a backsplash, it works out that you can set a full tile and work up from there... rarely happens where it leaves an undesirable gap at the top.. lay the tiles out to work, either full tile at countertop, if you have a bad gap at the top adjust to have cuts at top and bottom that are uniform, or larger cut at bottom and acceptable cut size at top...

Then, find center on all walls, lay out tiles either grout joint on center, or half tile on center, whichever ends up on the ends with the largest cut...

This is how I do them anyway...
Unread 08-23-2009, 04:56 AM   #4
jfranch

CX / Dave - Thanks for the response. Let me clarify my question. How close can I get the tile to the hood without causing a problem? I'm not sure how much of a problem expansion will be with the hood.

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase