Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 11-18-2009, 09:11 AM   #1
toms5000

Pine furring?

Is it okay to use #2 pine to add two inches to a wall behind a toilet and sink that will be tiled?
Unread 11-18-2009, 10:33 AM   #2
bbcamp

If it is kiln dried, it is OK.

Sounds like my builder built your house. I have the same problem in my half-bath. I'm just letting the toilet sit a little farther from the wall than usual.
bbcamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-18-2009, 11:43 AM   #3
toms5000

my builder artist

My house was built in '57 and the builder put the toilet drain on top of a floor joist. He did some fine sculpting of the lead drain and a small cutout in the joist to make it work. My plumber was impressed but not inclined to recreate the masterpiece. So he moved the drain two inches away from wall.

Is tile with thinset on greenboard the way to go then? Should I put plastic up first? I'm going to look up Kerdis, which is new to me. I'm talking about non shower walls here.

Also I'm doing a tub with tile shower. Are the guidelines by Jim Reicherts article on CBU in John Bridge's "Tile Your World" what I should follow for that?
Unread 11-19-2009, 05:40 AM   #4
bbcamp

Ok, your builder didn't build my house...

One of us is a little confused about your project(s), so let me try to clear a few things up:

First, you don't need greenboard anywhere in you bathroom, unless mandated by your building inspector. There's no advantage for it. Use an exhaust fan to keep humidity levels down.

Second, you don't need CBU in a shower under Kerdi. Optional, but not necessary.

Third, you don't need plastic behind Kerdi or anywhere outside the shower. (We're not talking about exterior walls that are not in your shower, where the plastic is your vapor retarder.) Kerdi is a waterproofing membrane with good vapor barrier properties.

Fourth, you don't need Kerdi outside your shower. Again, optional, but not necessary. Of course, if you intend to wash elephants in there, waterproofing the walls may be beneficial...

For your tub surround, I recommend Kerdi there also, but if you want CBU, then John's book has it covered. It's a good book, I'm in it.
bbcamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-19-2009, 09:00 AM   #5
toms5000

elephant hygiene

From now on all washing of large mammals will be done in the garage.

Thanks for clarifying all those points. To be clear my shower will be in the tub so I'm doing a "tub surround" tile job. I've discovered the Kerdi portions of "Tile Your World" which I skipped over completely at first because I bought that book to guide me through major repair in another bathroom of an existing mud and tile shower.

In that case the job started when a a plumber discovered a leaking lead pan then came and replaced it with a brand new lead pan. He never mentioned that there were more modern alternatives. Following John Bridge's instructions carefully I mixed and mudded a new shower floor, repaired mortared walls and retiled the whole bathroom.

On that job I used CBU on the non-shower floor and green board on the non-shower walls. For the new job I was planning to use CBU throughout to keep things simple. But now I'm thinking Kerdi and Ditra are the way to go.
I've bought the Kerdi Shower Book and other questions are getting answered.

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase