Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 01-31-2021, 09:22 PM   #46
Dave_N

If you guys say not to, I won't.... But I'm curious as to why you don't recommend it? For what scenario WOULD you seal the grout?
Thanks again guys!
Unread 01-31-2021, 10:03 PM   #47
cx
Moderator emeritus

Don't let us keep you from sealing if you wanna seal, Dave, we just want you to consider the advangages (any?) and disadvantages. One disadvantage in a wet area such as a shower, especially one with a direct bonded waterproofing membrane is that it reduces the ability for moisture that gets into or behind the grout joints to evaporate back out. While all the penetrating sealers advertise being breathable, they do still restrict the vapor movement to some degree.

If you are prone to drinking red wine in the shower (from plastic containers, of course) it might actually make it easier to rinse off any spills before they can penetrate the grout. Or the spaghetti sauce as Davy mentioned.

What would I seal? Kitchen backsplash, kitchen floor, kitchen or bath counter tops, similar dry area surfaces where spills of staining materials would be common and cleanup would be expected to happen immediately. But even then it might not really be worth the time and effort and expense.

My very first tile man when I started building many years ago when tile countertops were popular advised the customers to seal the grout with used cooking oil on accounta that's what they were gonna look like in a few years anyway.

But again, if you want your shower grout sealed, seal it.

My opinion; worth price charged.

Y'ALL NEW VISITORS READ THIS HERE!
cx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-01-2021, 06:37 AM   #48
Dave_N

I really appreciate you taking the time to explain this to me. It makes a lot of sense. I was always under the impression that grout always gets sealed.

I appreciate everyone's advice and opinions throughout my entire project. You have all made me feel more confident with my end results. I have much respect for everyone in the trade. It is not easy work (for me anyways). I will still be around lurking as I have a master bath to remodel in a few months. I will keep reading and learning from other posts. Thanks again everyone!

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase