Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile

Welcome to John Bridge / Tile Your World, the friendliest DIY Forum on the Internet

Advertiser Directory
JohnBridge.com Home
Buy John Bridge's Books

Go Back   Ceramic Tile Advice Forums - John Bridge Ceramic Tile > Tile & Stone Forums > Tile Forum/Advice Board

Sponsors

Unread 02-06-2005, 12:54 PM   #1
treasuregems

Question Safety Question about floor prep

When I scraped my kitchen floor (concrete slab) to prep it for tiling after removing vinyl flooring, I worked until I got tendonitis in my right elbow! Now I'm getting ready to do another area, and I'm ripping up the vinyl. My elbow still hurts several weeks later, so I'm not looking forward to any more wet scraping than necessary. I grabbed my 4 1/2" grinder and threw a heavy 36 grit sanding disk on it... went right through that old mastic on the small area I tried, and was easier than scraping. My question is... If I set up 2 fans blowing out of the windows at the end of this room and open a window behind where I'm working (set up air flow through the room), and wear my respirator (rated for dust, including asbestos), can I safely grind this stuff off? There is no vinyl left... I did some preliminary scraping to get down to the mastic, which coats almost the entire area. The house was built in 1995, so I don't think asbestos should be a problem anyway, but can anyone advise me as to any possible safety hazards associated with high-speed sanding (dry) of the mastic on concrete with coarse grit?

Thanks,
Todd

P.S. - Got some good advice last time I posted a question. You guys are awesome!
treasuregems is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Unread 02-06-2005, 01:02 PM   #2
ceramechanic

respirator, saftey glassees, gloves, ear plugs, clear head, seal off adjacent living area and cabinetry.
Unread 02-06-2005, 01:20 PM   #3
Mike2

Todd, for something in the neighboorhood of $65 (my area) with 3 day turnaround you could get that tested for asbestos. If it comes back positive, I wouldn't be grinding it.
Mike2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-06-2005, 01:23 PM   #4
Rd Tile
Tile Man

Mike's correct, but I think asbestos in vinyl and glue products were outlawed by 1980.
Rd Tile is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-06-2005, 02:13 PM   #5
treasuregems

Yes, I'm pretty sure asbestos won't be a factor, as the home wasn't built back in those days. I was more curious about what might be in the mastic that gets ground up finely and becomes airborne. Also, I wondered if it's OK to sand over concrete. I've never done that. I suppose that even though there's sand in concrete, the amount of silica dust generated (if any) would be very slight. The precautions I'll use should take care of everything. I'm going to set it up and go for it. The small section I tried it out with was a breeze.

Thanks to all for the advice,

Todd
treasuregems is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-06-2005, 02:59 PM   #6
Mike2

You're right, somehow I missed the 1995 part - how'd I do that? Musta been thinking about fried Spam sandwiches for lunch I guess.

I don't know what might be in there that you'd be grinding but if you're in the State of California it might be near lethal . Anyother state however you might be safe taking all the precautions you have listed.
Mike2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Stonetooling.com   Tile-Assn.com   National Gypsum Permabase